What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shops that reseal fuel tanks (RV-10)

FlyingBliss

I discovered a leak in my fuel tank coming up through a rivet on the skin of the left wing yesterday after 1890 hours and 16 years of flying (not an abnormal issue after that amount of flying, so I’ve been told).

Does anyone know of a shop that will reseal RV-10 fuel tanks?

Weep No More has a great reputation in Mooney aircraft world where stiff landing gear and integral tanks create issues; so, those companies got A LOT of reseal experience. There are people that have left W-N-M and started their own/joined other operations (some here in FL). Many of those reputations are not so good.

The OP's potential issue = most of the aforementioned experience is on tanks/wings with lots of existing access panels. Make sure whoever you're talking to knows that the tanks will have to be removed from the aircraft and probably some/many access panels will have to be cut. At that point, does it makes sense to stay local or do it yourself?

A flying friend with a 9A used WNM a few years and had good results - as I recall, it was not inexpensive. I had a bottom rivet weeping on my 7A, near the drain. I used a CP62 Click Bond on it. That fixed it without having to open up the tank.

Just 1 rivet?

I have recently been fixing a bunch of tanks, but not looking for customers! A simple leak repair is fairly easy and un-intrusive, but while inside, aggravating factors may surface. I just did a single bay surgery on a -10 tank for a leaking vent line, but access would be similar for yours. if its leaking from the AFT baffle row, you likely have a fillet breach, if its leaking on a rib, its a fay surface/fastener breach. Hopefully, no need for a full strip and reseal. I'm currently doing a set of RV-4 tanks that has been full open, strip, de-slosh and re-seal..no bueno. Hopefully you can find a local sheet-metal savy builder that can help you (if your the builder thats you !). WNM is fantastic, but it may be bye bye to your paint job unless they match paint after repairs.

Used WNM in 2015 for my RV10

I used WNM in 2015 to remove slosh and reseal due to several small leaks. They did a great job and did not harm the paint. 8 years later and still good, knock on wood.

I was recovering from rotator cuff surgery and could not work on the tanks myself or build new ones. In my opinion; the time saved, peace of mind that it would be done right, and cost vs effort for me to fix it made WNM a no brainer.

They warrant their work for 7 years.

TJ

I've done quite a few leak repairs. Buy the tank repair kits from Van's. You will need to take off the tank from the wing. I've written up blog posts for several of the repairs, if you want to get a better idea of what is involved.

As others have said, if it is just a single rivet on the tank skin, then I would try a few of the other less invasive options for sealing before going into the tank. Once the sealant starts leaking, it won't fix itself!

I have recently done three tanks - complete re-seals. One was a slosh removal and not sure I would do that again. A leak at a rivet could be just the sealant failing at the tail of the rivet or it could be coming through the gap between the skin and the rib and then up the rivet head. For just one skin rivet (excluding aft baffle rivets) I would try the loctite approach. If necessary, I would consider opening two bays and resealing both sides of the rib/skin interface in the area of the leaking rivet.

Larry

Back