What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Setting the rivets in the shoulder harness seat belt lugs

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
How did you set the two rivets that attach the lug assembly to F-01406C? Given the angle of the lug assembly I assume the only way to set these is to put the manufacture head on the rear, and use a rivet gun from behind and an angle bucking bar from the front.

To do that I really need to get inside the fuselage, but it is only clecoed together at this point. Is it strong enough to support the weight of a person?

Thanks,
Michael-

Hi Michael, to tell you the truth its been so long since I did it I will have to go to the hangar to look! I think your idea of shooting the rivet from the rear is fine however, I am not sure how I did it. The next time I go to my hangar I will look and let you know. I finished my airplane in 2018 and It's been a blast to fly!

Good luck on your project and "keep eating the elephant"!Resized_20190630_105133_3260.jpeg
Karl

Hi Michael, to tell you the truth its been so long since I did it I will have to go to the hangar to look! I think your idea of shooting the rivet from the rear is fine however, I am not sure how I did it. The next time I go to my hangar I will look and let you know. I finished my airplane in 2018 and It's been a blast to fly!

Good luck on your project and "keep eating the elephant"!View attachment 53754
Karl

Karl,

Thanks. Beautiful airplane!

Michael-

How did you set the two rivets that attach the lug assembly to F-01406C? Given the angle of the lug assembly I assume the only way to set these is to put the manufacture head on the rear, and use a rivet gun from behind and an angle bucking bar from the front.

To do that I really need to get inside the fuselage, but it is only clecoed together at this point. Is it strong enough to support the weight of a person?

Thanks,
Michael-
I was able to set these with the manufactured head on the forward (cockpit side).

You just uncleco the lugs from the skins and you can bend the seatbelt attach end out of the way. I used a 6” long straight rivet set.

Last edited:
Back