What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Service Bulletin Lycoming Fuel Injection Diaphragm Fuel Pump

RV6_flyer

Well Known Member
Benefactor
Service Bulletin Lycoming Diaphragm Fuel Pump

Just wanting to let everyone know that Lycoming released Service Bulletin 621 on July 24, 2015 to replace certain specific Diaphragm-Type Fuel pumps.

Affected Pumps are Lycoming part number 62B26931 or LW-16335 with a specific date code. See Service Bulletin 621 to find out if it applies to your engine.

They way I read the service bulletin, all the pumps made during the 20th week of this year 2015 are the one this applies to.

Last edited:
They way I read the service bulletin, all the pumps made during the 20th week of this year 2015 are the one this applies to.

It's all pumps made before, up to, and including the 25th week of 2015 that match the other identifying criteria.

It's all pumps made before, up to, and including the 25th week of 2015 that match the other identifying criteria.

Just went back and read more of the SB. BOLD added to the copy / paste / inserted text.

A fuel pump installed on engines or in the spares inventory is affected by this Service Bulletin:
1. If the fuel pump is Lycoming part number 62B26931 or LW-16335.
2. If the manufacturer?s code is not on the flange but is on the web or other parts of the fuel pump.
3. If the fuel pump has RC (Figure 1) as the first two letters of the manufacturer?s code.
4. If the manufacturer?s code identifies the fuel pump as manufactured before, up to, and including the 25th week of 2015.
If any fuel pump meets all the criteria above, remove the fuel pump from the engine or from the spares
inventory and:
A. Review your records to identify shipping dates of the serial numbers of any of the affected fuel pumps.
B. Return all affected fuel pumps to Lycoming Engines with a copy of this Service Bulletin and file a warranty claim per the warranty procedure herein.
C. Record removal of the fuel pump installed on the engine in the engine logbook.

description update/edit????

for us non-mechanics, would it be fair to say the title is misleading.....they don't all seem to be 'fuel injection' .......do they?
the list of affected engines include 'I' O -320,-360 etc. as well as just 'O'- 540.
how is that possible?

Last edited:
for us non-mechanics, would it be fair to say the title is misleading.....they don't all seem to be 'fuel injection' .......do they?
the list of affected engines include 'I' O -320,-360 etc. as well as just 'O'- 540.
how is that possible?

Yes the title of this thread is a bit off. The subject of the SB is actually "Diaphragm-Type Fuel Pump Replacement". The SB is on the mechanical fuel pump so it applies to both carbureted and fuel injected engines.

Last edited:
The second part number quoted is for these engines -

O-360-A1G, O-360-A1G6, O-360-A1G6D
O-360-A1H, O-360-A2G, O-360A2H, O-360-A4G
O-360-A4J, O-360-A4K, LO-360-A1G6D

And is non-injected (5 psi nominal) but with the in/out ports at a different orientation than the "standard" O-360-A1A fuel pumps.

The first part number quoted is a high pressure "IO" pump.

Airworthiness compliance with SB's ??

Just wanting to let everyone know that Lycoming released Service Bulletin 621 on July 24, 2015 to replace certain specific Diaphragm-Type Fuel pumps.

Affected Pumps are Lycoming part number 62B26931 or LW-16335 with a specific date code. See Service Bulletin 621 to find out if it applies to your engine.

Its easy just to read the SB and look at your fuel pump. Mine, a Vans IO360 M1B, does not have a the pump. Just read the bulletin.

Question Gary, I understand that I should ensure that my engine has complied with all mandatory SB's when getting my airworthiness inspection. What is the best way to be sure that is done? I can go to Lycoming.com and look the list, download the sheets, then verify it is done or does not apply. Is there a better way?

Its easy just to read the SB and look at your fuel pump. Mine, a Vans IO360 M1B, does not have a the pump. Just read the bulletin.

Question Gary, I understand that I should ensure that my engine has complied with all mandatory SB's when getting my airworthiness inspection. What is the best way to be sure that is done? I can go to Lycoming.com and look the list, download the sheets, then verify it is done or does not apply. Is there a better way?

A Mandatory Service Bulletin is not mandatory on an aircraft operated under part 91.

Typically all Service Bulletins are complied with when a shop overhauls or builds up an engine.

I know of no easy way to check them other than to pay Lycoming for a subscription and check the paperwork.

Looking up part numbers, 62B26931 is an equivalent replacement for LW-15473. (High pressure pump.) LW16335 is a low pressure pump (4-6 psi) with Channel Arm Ports rotated 47 degrees. When I glanced at the SB that came in the mail, I knew the one was high pressure and did not recognize the number of the other so assumed it was high pressure. Never Assume! Both part numbers are not on my aircraft but knew that some RVs may have them so wanted to get a warning out.

Last edited:
Looking up part numbers, 62B26931 is an equivalent replacement for LW-15473. (High pressure pump.)

But as I read it, the SB does not apply to p/n LW-15473, right?

I guess I gotta go out to the hangar and check if the fuel pump that was installed at overhaul is the "equivalent replacement" or the original one.
The paperwork from the overhaul of my engine references the LW-15473.

Thanks Gary for posting, otherwise although I consider my self informed, I would not have known about this at all. I will ask my DAR about his expectations in advance to be sure.

Steve, the way I read the SB all five of the points must be true to be an affected pump. My LW pump does not have the RCXXXX date code format it has, HXXXX format. Purchased in 2012.

Back