What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sensenich 3 Blade Climb Pin Setting?

Majorpayne317641

Well Known Member
I have an RV8A with a IO360. I am planning on taking a mountain flying course in CO. They require a climb prop for the course. My question is what pin is best to set the prop at when I arrive? I have it at pin 6 now with 2100rpm static at 2000ft DA day. Should I be seeking a higher static rpm for the new pitch setting? If so what RPM? I know the idea is to be under red line at full power in the climb but not taking too much off the table in HP keeping the RPM as close to red line as possible. I’m not sure how the prop will react static at a DA of 10k or more. Reading the Sensenich install manual they say it should be 100 to 200 rpm higher than a standard pitch setting.

Last edited:
I spoke with Sensenich about this. They say static RPM is about 50RPM per pin change and 100RPM at full throttle in cruise. They say that mine is pitched at about a cruise/super cruise prop setting. Their “standard” setting pitch is RPM redline at 8k DA, mine is about 2550 RPM or so. They said after 8k DA these rules do not necessarily work as well but recommended that I move down 2 pins to a 4 for a climb setting at 12k DA.

Back