What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Self Inflating Helmet

rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
I saw an add for Outrageous Acts of Science TV show about self inflating bike helmets. One of our guys here injured the heck out of his neck after a slow flip over. This type of helmet may or may not have helped, but it looked interesting. You just wear it around your neck and a sensor inflates it in 1/10th second.

Any thoughts on this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwueAI8uXjg

Wow

I could just see wearing this thing when all of a sudden, turbulance. The thing inflates, then what? :D

Interesting Technology . . . but

Using technology followed by regulation for protecting people from their own stubbornness/risk choice is not my view of a free future.

Seriously though, I was talking to Mr. Van at an event on visibility and he imparted the design wisdom of the cockpit. He said to position one's self as high up against the canopy as comfortable. To enable the pilot to see over the nose. Well, I can not see for a good three point, and found that Mike Seager's training of looking out the side of the canopy was much better for me to judge a precise touchdown. If seated high, this would leave little take-up room if landing inverted. Especially if a little loose in the harness.

Would the best bet be to snug the harness prior to landing, or would that prevent movement needed for said landing and reduce safety?

Seriously though, I was talking to Mr. Van at an event on visibility and he imparted the design wisdom of the cockpit. He said to position one's self as high up against the canopy as comfortable. To enable the pilot to see over the nose. Well, I can not see for a good three point, and found that Mike Seager's training of looking out the side of the canopy was much better for me to judge a precise touchdown. If seated high, this would leave little take-up room if landing inverted. Especially if a little loose in the harness.

I happen to know that with Van's comment he doesn't mean to imply you should look fwd over the nose while landing a taildragger RV. What he means is that the higher you sit, the better overall view you have. Even when looking out the lower side corner during the landing flair. A lot of combined flight experience in these airplanes has proven this.

We often see people sitting so low, we wonder how they can even safely land the airplane.

I like the inflatable helmet idea, especially if the price were to come down. I would think it would also help reduce whiplash. I've had two whiplash injuries, and I think I would wear one in an airplane just for that reason. Our two place RV's don't have any soft head and neck restraint. Bottom line: I think these ladies in Sweden have a good idea. Who sells these things here in the States? Maybe I'll go look on Amazon. :)

P.S. It's called the Hovding (Swedish for "Chieftain"). Didn't find it on Amazon but they have both a web page and a Facebook page.

Last edited:
I happen to know that with Van's comment he doesn't mean to imply you should look fwd over the nose while landing a taildragger RV. What he means is that the higher you sit, the better overall view you have. Even when looking out the lower side corner during the landing flair. A lot of combined flight experience in these airplanes has proven this.

We often see people sitting so low, we wonder how they can even safely land the airplane.

Scott, sorry if any negative connotation was imparted, the comment was not meant to be disparaging or to imply a lack of safety consideration, just that when seated near the canopy there is less room for an explosive head cover. And, that if one was concerned about neck compression from a flip over, then the harness adjustment would be high on the list of precautions to take. It was meant for a substantive discussion of actions that a pilot could reasonably take to mitigate collective risks in the landing phase. I like my harness snug anyway.

Van made the comment when we were discussing how far up the canopy the fiberglassing would come, and if it would interfere with vision. He said one inch and then filled out the basic design/positioning philosophy so I would understand the context. It was much appreciated.

Scott, sorry if any negative connotation was imparted, the comment was not meant to be disparaging or to imply a lack of safety consideration, just that when seated near the canopy there is less room for an explosive head cover. And, that if one was concerned about neck compression from a flip over, then the harness adjustment would be high on the list of precautions to take. It was meant for a substantive discussion of actions that a pilot could reasonably take to mitigate collective risks in the landing phase. I like my harness snug anyway.

Van made the comment when we were discussing how far up the canopy the fiberglassing would come, and if it would interfere with vision. He said one inch and then filled out the basic design/positioning philosophy so I would understand the context. It was much appreciated.
I didn't read your post as being negative and I didn't purposely mean for mine to be either. Just clarifying Vans opinion ( which I fully agree with).
I agree there are different ways to look at the situation, but I think the first order for flying an RV safely is for the pilot to do all they can to assure good performance when land to minimize the likely hood of ending up upside down.
I also believe that part of that includes belting up much tighter than a lot of people do.

I am putting a 5 point Crow system in my 9A. I am 5'8 and Abby built me a cushion to fill in the seat bottom. When I sit in my seat, I have good clearance between my head and canopy. With my harness, I am not worried about hitting the canopy - just protecting my neck and head. If you look at the avalanche rescue systems, they hold your head and neck study. The inflating helmet looks like it could too.

If you land off field in an RV and most other planes for that matter, you have a good chance of going over. Im not saying that is always bad - it uses up energy and many times it is a slow event. Anything that can help protect your neck and head is a good thing. There are options out there and why not explore them?

Back