What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seeking trip advice - Lake Michigan, Superior

Dbro172

Well Known Member
Planning a trip next week in the upper midwest. MN, IA, IL, MI WI. Would like to start in MN and fly around lake Michigan, Mackinac, the UP, etc. looking for tips on neat places to see, eat, stay??

Too many places to mention. Depends greatly on your interests and timeframe.

Flew my -7A into Mackinac Island this past Labor Day. Daily parking fee at MCD for single engine was $12.50. The extremely touristy downtown area was very busy with bicycles everywhere, most of which were parked along the street. Much to see cruising around the island on a bike. Toward the end, I got tired of trying to dodge the horse***t all over the roads, except in the downtown area where they kept it cleaned up pretty well.

Landed at St.Ignace (83D), where the airport manager was quite accommodating in line with the general openness and hospitality the UP seems to be known for.

Petoskey and Traverse City area are worth a visit, depending on your interests.

Landed at Ephraim-Gibralter (3D2), which allows camping on the field. Also has a courtesy car and bikes to use although there is a big hill to climb to get back to the field. Restaurants are unique and, while they don't seem plentiful, are adequate to service the visitors. The towns are very small, less than 1000 population, and really cater to well-heeled clientele from Chicago. Parking fee $16.

Green Bay Packer Hall of Fame at Lambeau Field is worth a visit, even though they are not my team. I've heard the FBO at GRB is rather accommodating.

Our moving maps don't do you justice to the vast expanse of very cold water in the Great Lakes. Give careful thought to venturing beyond gliding distance from land. If you go down in the water, you haven't got much of a chance.

Beaver island has multiple courtesy cars. Charlavoix has bikes or short walk to town. Drummond island has food and lodging nearby. Beautiful area to fly with lots of islands and boats to aim for if things go quiet

If you land in Marquette it's not a far drive to Manistique and the glass bottom boat tour, which is pretty neat. Plus kayaking.

As others have mentioned, the lakes are not to be messed with. A lot of people who live here won't fly over them. Those that do go high and get flight following.

Finally, be careful with the weather. The UP is the convergence of 3 great lakes. Weather can change quickly and unexpectedly. There's a dearth of airports so not a lot of metars to see what's going on, and TAF's are few and far between. Finally, radar coverage is poor. I once went inadvertent IMC in an unforecast snow squall near Gaylord, MI. It was July.

My dad lived right on the north shore of MN for 25 years and I concur that there can be some pretty spectacular late fall storms on the Great Lakes. As Gordon says “When the gales of November came early”. Be prepared and keep up to date.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8BK
We had a great 3 day trip, me in my RV-9A and a friend in his 182. I came from Fargo and he from Fort Collins, we met in Omaha and circumnavigated Lake Michigan, then through the UP, Northern MN, and back home. Stopped in Davenport, Benton Harbor, Macinac Island, Mackinac County, Iron Mountain, Madeline Island. (Duluth Sky Harbor was socked in below the layer of clouds in the photo) Food was great and was able to find courtesy cars, bikes and hotels. The most impressive thing we found and never new existed was Torch Lake in MI, simply amazing. And I never realized how clear Lake MI is, and the hundreds of miles of sand beaches. Who Knew!

IMG_1601.jpegIMG_1617.jpegIMG_1625.jpegIMG_1646.jpegIMG_1647.jpegIMG_1649.jpegIMG_1699.jpegIMG_1711.jpegIMG_1710.jpeg

We had a great 3 day trip, me in my RV-9A and a friend in his 182. I came from Fargo and he from Fort Collins, we met in Omaha and circumnavigated Lake Michigan, then through the UP, Northern MN, and back home. Stopped in Davenport, Benton Harbor, Macinac Island, Mackinac County, Iron Mountain, Madeline Island. Food was great and was able to find courtesy cars, bikes and hotels. The most impressive thing we found and never new existed was Torch Lake in MI, simply amazing. And I never realized how clear Lake MI is, and the hundreds of miles of sand beaches. Who Knew!

View attachment 70371View attachment 70372View attachment 70373View attachment 70375View attachment 70376View attachment 70377View attachment 70378View attachment 70379View attachment 70380
IMG_1711.jpegIMG_1719.jpegIMG_1728.jpegIMG_1736.jpegIMG_1737.jpeg

Planning a trip next week in the upper midwest. MN, IA, IL, MI WI. Would like to start in MN and fly around lake Michigan, Mackinac, the UP, etc. looking for tips on neat places to see, eat, stay??
Michigan has more lighthouses than any other state. As you fly around the Great Lakes see how many you can count.

We had a great 3 day trip, me in my RV-9A and a friend in his 182. I came from Fargo and he from Fort Collins, we met in Omaha and circumnavigated Lake Michigan, then through the UP, Northern MN, and back home. Stopped in Davenport, Benton Harbor, Macinac Island, Mackinac County, Iron Mountain, Madeline Island. (Duluth Sky Harbor was socked in below the layer of clouds in the photo) Food was great and was able to find courtesy cars, bikes and hotels. The most impressive thing we found and never new existed was Torch Lake in MI, simply amazing. And I never realized how clear Lake MI is, and the hundreds of miles of sand beaches. Who Knew!

View attachment 70371View attachment 70372View attachment 70373View attachment 70375View attachment 70376View attachment 70377View attachment 70378View attachment 70379View attachment 70380

Did you land at the grass strip gems of UP?

5Y7 (Hanley field, Munising), 5D5 (Woosley - Northport near Torch Lake), 6Y3 (North Fox) .... add these to your list for next time. Top places 👌🏼

Attachments

• 20240713_122031.jpg
    20240713_122031.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11
Recently spent a day in Kalamazoo at their museum on the airport (The Air Zoo). Highly recommended!!!
Yeah, taxi right up to the museum. I was super impressed with the Air Zoo.

Land at Washington Island at the tip of Door County. Rent some bikes and enjoy the island.

As you come around Chicago you can stop and eat at Pilot Pete's in Schaumburg or Charlie's at Bolinbrook-Clow. Rochelle, IL has a good restaurant on the field where you can sit and outside and watch the skydivers come in to land. Janesville, WI has a good breakfast (Bessie's). I haven't been there but I've heard the restaurant at Madison, WI is good.

Voyager Village in NW Wisconsin is a good place to stop for a burger (and golf if you like). https://www.voyagervillage.com/airstrip/

Shell Lake, WI has an airport with a short walk to town for some food. Many years ago we landed there and parked at the west end of the runway in the grass.

Back