What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Securing Flap Hinge Pin

jsharkey

Well Known Member
Flap Hinge Pin Securing

I drilled a 3/16" hole in the outboard aileron brackets so that I could insert and remove the flap hinge pins as necessary.

I had intended to simply form a 90 deg bend on the outboard end of the pin and secure it by wiring to the aileron bracket. However having just set up the aileron stops I find that the flap hinge pin interferes with the aileron horn at close to full up aileron deflection.

You can push the aileron to the hard stop but the flap pin is definitely interfering.

How did anyone else deal with this and/or secure the flap pin differently?

Has anyone tried filing a notch in the flange of the aileron horn to clear the pin?

I like the bent over end of the pin as it give something to lever and grip to get the pin moving when removing it.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6 - Getting there!

Last edited:
.........How did anyone else deal with this and/or secure the flap pin differently?......
Removing a couple of hinge pin eyes from the middle of the flap has two advantages. First, you can remove the flap without having to deal with the aileron. Second, two short hinge pin runs are easier to deal with than one long one. Although there are other ways to secure the pins, I simply secured them to each other with a zip tie and (not shown in photo) both are secured with another zip tie through a lightening hole. A creative RV builder came up with the basic idea some time ago and Van's has since endorsed it. I believe the technique is mentioned in the RV-8 manual as a builder option but don't quote me on that.

55pgdj.jpg

It did get "approved"...

Removing a couple of hinge pin eyes from the middle of the flap has two advantages. ...... A creative RV builder came up with the basic idea some time ago and Van's has since endorsed it. I believe the technique is mentioned in the RV-8 manual as a builder option but don't quote me on that.

....for the -6's in the 2002 update of the RV-6x manual - last paragraph of Section 7.

It seems to be the easiest way of "doing the job".

The alternate method mentioned is to drill a small hole (not a 3/16 hole...:)..) in the aileron bracket to poke the flap hinge pin through, and if the hole is not perfectly aligned with the hinge, the pin will spring into a straight line and not be able to come back through the hole.

No mention is made of bending the end at 90 degrees.

....for the -6's in the 2002 update of the RV-6x manual - last paragraph of Section 7.

It seems to be the easiest way of "doing the job".

The alternate method mentioned is to drill a small hole (not a 3/16 hole...:)..) in the aileron bracket to poke the flap hinge pin through, and if the hole is not perfectly aligned with the hinge, the pin will spring into a straight line and not be able to come back through the hole.

No mention is made of bending the end at 90 degrees.

Alternate method could be a bear to get back out. Removing the middle eyes and splitting the pin - same as the seat backs - sounds good.

...a couple of hinge eyes and a screw:

20071213-05-tn.jpg

Nice attention to detail Mike. Wish I'd seen this photo before I bent and secured the pins with zip ties. I especially like the clever use of hinge eyes. Now that's what I call a simple, elegant installation. Well done! :)

Last edited:
I agree Mike! I am saving that picture to use on the -3....makes my -8 (safety wire through a couple of holes) look pretty primitive....

Nice craftsmanship.

Paul

I am splitting the flap hinge pin, bending, and securing the two pieces in the near middle of the flap by using a nut plate and a couple hinge eyes double flush riveted together. Does it matter if I attach the two hinge pin halves to the flap spar or to the flap brace? I was going to put the attachment on the flap spar, but I started wondering if it matters. Both are easy enough to do.
Thanks.

Flap Brace

works great to install the nutplate. I drop the flaps and remove the pins twice a year to lubricate them...no regrets after 800 hours.

Bill
RV-7 N151WP
Lees Summit, MO

Retainer Clip Installed

I installed this retainer clip on both flap spars, bent the hinge pins 1/2 inch inwards and 2 3/4 inches up. Slipped the retainer on, folded it to the spar and screwed it into an installed nutplate. Retainer clip was two opposing hinge eyes double flush riveted (needed that practice) with #19 attach hole in the middle.

20101104_161835.jpg

Very Nice

I installed this retainer clip.....
Wendell,

Nice job, well done. My compliments. When the days comes I have to remove the flaps on the -6A, I will rework the one piece to the split pin method and shamelesssly copy your elegant design. Thanks for sharing.

Back