What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Second battery

Wingit

Would like opinion / examples of second battery location. I am considering mounting a second 680 behind passenger seat in a sealed bad , venting to outside below the box with solenoid in center chase.

Thank you great info. here!!
Dave

Would like opinion / examples of second battery location. I am considering mounting a second 680 behind passenger seat in a sealed bad , venting to outside below the box with solenoid in center chase.

Thank you great info. here!!
Dave
Second on the mirror image pilot side I'd recommend. You don't mention w&b issues but 14's tend to be aft heavy especially with a composite prop. I'm assuming you are referencing Earth X 680 and not an Odyssey 680? If so, I don't believe Earth-X makes a vented 680 or at least not originally. Why do you want to mount it in the baggage area when many 14 builders installed second battery FWF? Don't mount it low on the pilots' side FWF, 30 degrees hotter there.

Last edited:
Second on the mirror image pilot side I'd recommend. You don't mention w&b issues but 14's tend to be aft heavy especially with a composite prop. I'm assuming you are referencing Earth X 680 and not an Odyssey 680? If so, I don't believe Earth-X makes a vented 680 or at least not originally. Why do you want to mount it in the baggage area when many 14 builders installed second battery FWF? Don't mount it low on the pilots' side FWF, 30 degrees hotter there.
Thank for the reply . I am talking about the Odessy, i guess I haven’t wrapped my mind around the new technology, but I guess there are safeguards built into the Earth X. I looked at the FWF on pilot’s side but seemed to crowd the space. I would like to see an example of one that was installed on a 14.
thanks again,Dave

I have seen 2 examples of 14's FWF pilot side batteries mounted. You might need to be a little creative but it all fits if properly laid out. I have 2 EarthX 900's, 2 shunts, 2 starter relays and 2 battery contactors, fuel pressure regulator along with other misc. "stuff" needed. My only regret was having the 2nd battery mounted down this low. There is a lot of good data on Earth X on this forum and elsewhere. EarthX batteries are now being used in certified aircraft. I've been using this same chemistry in vehicles now for over 15 years (over 5 in a 14) and they have proven very reliable and excellent starting amperage. Saving over 20 lbs. for 2 batteries is well worth the extra layout effort. Mounting an Odyssey battery in the baggage compartment will limit baggage weight to 80 lbs. and if you are using a composite prop almost for sure going to have CG limitations even using a heavy pad mount alternator like the B&C model. That's an opinion of one person but take the time and review options and good luck!

Attachments

• battery box with hinges.jpg
    battery box with hinges.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 38
Another data point for you. I kept the stock Odyssey 680 and did a second smaller Aerovolt lithium battery on pilot side. Single B&C alternator and IBBS behind the Stein panel.

This picture is from my initial install. After some thought and discussion with BandC, I replaced the wire between the ANL current limiter and relay with a larger wire to get a better radius (drawn in red - didn’t take another pic unfortunately). Everything fit nicely. Sourced extra relay, wires, etc from B&C - excellent tech support from them.

Attachments

• IMG_1167.jpg
    IMG_1167.jpg
    929 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1166.JPG
    IMG_1166.JPG
    594.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1345.jpg
    IMG_1345.jpg
    929.7 KB · Views: 30
The use of copper bus bar is also helpful keeping components as close together as possible and clutter free.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-22 125016.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-08-22 125016.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 0
Back