What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat back hinges??

JeremyL

Well Known Member
Hey guys, so I’m building my seats and seat backs for the 7 and it appears I was shorted a section of hinge material without realizing it or I have completely lost it. My question is this, can I use the hinge material that came in the finishing kit designated for the cowl (I’m using skybolts and not hinges) ? I assume it would be fine and maybe even stronger, but I wanted to see what folks thought.

Probably a silly question but thanks anyway. :D

As long as it is the same size, no problem. We’ve got so many scraps (and full pieces) of hinge left over around here from various kits, its just a random consumable….

Hinge

As long as it is the same size, no problem. We’ve got so many scraps (and full pieces) of hinge left over around here from various kits, its just a random consumable….

What Paul ^ said. Same here. I have so many pieces, the problem is finding the right size scrap to avoid cutting a full length hinge.

I have done the same as Paul and Larry with other hinges I had on hand that fit the construction spec. I also found an industrial hardware distributor near me that had the required hinge material - in my case it was flap hinge material. You might be able to find what you need locally.

I bought extra piano hinges of different widths when building the flaps. I had some left over and I used them where the piano hinge was called for. The only place that called for the heavy duty piano hinge was the zip-cowling. The rest of the aircraft uses the regular hinge, but make sure the width you have on hand will fit.

Back