What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Scuffed and curved parts while doing inventory

jonom

Hi All,
New builder here, so sorry for what I'm sure are basic questions - I'm sure there will be more.

While doing the inventory for the Fuselage and Empennage I noticed that some parts have scuffing or scratches through the blue vinyl. They don't seem overly deep and I'm sure I can sand or polish them out. As an example here is one of the parts with a scratch through the vinyl.
PXL_20240113_022058525.MP.jpg
The horizontal scratch, I suspect can be sanded out and the vertical scuffing in the vinyl the same (if it's gone through to the aluminium. Am I on the right path regarding sanding / polishing here?

Secondly, I've come across some parts that have a slight curve in them, which I presume was created during manufacturing of the part (mainly doublers etc). Is this normal and will these parts just pull into place once cleco'd and riveted etc?
PXL_20240113_023033361.jpg

The scuff is a tooling mark from the press-bending brake -- pull off the blue stuff and dress the big gouges out. The curved pieces will actually be straightened by you during the build -- no kidding there is a step/process called in the KAI called "WHAAAAANG!!" :)

I had someone tell me basically if it's a fingernail catch, buff it, if it's more then a fingernail catch, may have to get some feedback from Vans. Example for me was an accidental taking material off the rudder horn from my belt sander, had over half wall metal loss on a flange bend, so replacement was recommended. Vs what looks like in your case a fingernail catch scuff only that can be buffed, not on a bend.

Mu
I had someone tell me basically if it's a fingernail catch, buff it, if it's more then a fingernail catch, may have to get some feedback from Vans. Example for me was an accidental taking material off the rudder horn from my belt sander, had over half wall metal loss on a flange bend, so replacement was recommended. Vs what looks like in your case a fingernail catch scuff only that can be buffed, not on a bend.
Many thanks Lipper03

The scuff is a tooling mark from the press-bending brake -- pull off the blue stuff and dress the big gouges out. The curved pieces will actually be straightened by you during the build -- no kidding there is a step/process called in the KAI called "WHAAAAANG!!" :)
I did see that "WHAAAAANG!!" reference in the build manual, but hadn't realized what it was for :D

Back