What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SB000036 kits backordered, now what?

Rallylancer122

Well Known Member
Called Vans today to check on the status of the SB-000036 doubler kit I ordered for my rv8 a few weeks ago and the nice lady told me that they were waiting for parts that won't be in until May. Doh! That would leave with only 2 other airplanes to fly until June, which is completely unacceptable.

Looking through the SB it appears to have sketches of the parts, but I didn't see any material callouts. I assume just 2024 t3? Any other reason I can't just make the parts myself?

Depending on your fabrication skills and equipment I think that the tricky tasks will be bending the nested doublers to exactly match the profile of the rear spar and also to accurately bend and drill the 4130 hinge brackets.

I installed an inspection plate on the underside skin. Just 4x5 so I can inspect easier and when I need to install the kit- slide it right in with easy access to the rear of the spar.

I would hope Van’s would prioritize shipping order for those with actual cracks. I suspect however it’s first come first served.

I would hope Van’s would prioritize shipping order for those with actual cracks. I suspect however it’s first come first served.

I have no cracks and will order my parts kit after they are sitting on the shelf and in stock. I want to let the the guys that have cracks get their parts first. I also like the idea of a few earlier adopters reporting back with their installation experience, tips, tricks, and traps.

067C3DED-B1EB-456A-8C5A-E4743DF93F74.jpg
This is the inspection panel.

I would want a blessing from Vans before modifying the skin on the horizontal stab. I spent far less time drilling out rivets on the bottom skin for access and squeezing in new ones than would be required to fabricate new inspection ports and covers. Inspection was easily accomplished through the rib tooling holes with a $30 borescope.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C9C6P5D?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

View attachment 41367
This is the inspection panel.

Workmanship looks good, just don't know what kind of loads the skin is carrying at that point. Might be a good mod but if my plane I would want Vans to sign off on it.

doubler

That doubler concerns me as you have relatively large rivet spacing and few rivets to actually carry the loads. I'd run it by the mothership...

Just to bookend this one, I asked Vans tech support and they provided me with the drawings for these parts. However before I got around to building them a package from Vans showed up and inside was my SB kit! Guess they got their parts in early. Thanks Vans!

The parts are shipping, and the new parts are being received from the powder-coating shop (that's the final step in the manufacturing of the brackets). regularly in batches. Demand has been high, and we have no real way to tell who has cracks and who doesn't. So controlling against that is not really very feasible, unfortunately.

Thanks for everyone's patience!

Back