What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SB-00036 Rev 3

DMFenster

Well Known Member
Ok - This may be a stupid question, but I need a reality check. I have a flying 8 and am building another 8. The flying 8 has no cracks and the new 8 obviously doesn't' either. So as I read the SB, I should just keep inspecting the flying 8 until I have cracks. But this seems stupid to me. The SB adds the stiffener on the rear of the spar and doesn't require the stiffener forward of the spar [if no cracks are present] (which makes it much easier).

If no cracks are present, I only have to drill out a few rivets, but if I have cracks, I have to unzip the skin. So here's the question... Why wouldn't I do the SB on both HS BEFORE cracks are present? It would be so much easier.

BTW - Let's put aside the driven vs pulled rivet thing...

Dave

Last edited:
I also think that it makes sense to fit the rear doubler now, before there are any cracks, rather than having to inspect every year and then possibly find cracks, when it is going to be a bigger job to fit both the rear and the internal doubler (or worse, maybe also need to replace the spar). Doing it now is the least amount of work and the parts are not too expensive so it's worth it for the peace of mind to know that it's done.

Last edited:
There are 2 methods of compliance with the SB. You can inspect the spar within 25 hours, then every 12 months. Or, fit the doubler for an aircraft “without cracks” then the inspection requirement falls away. So if you have no cracks fit the doubler on the back of the spar, if you have cracks fit the doubler forward of the spar as well, or keep inspecting.

You can use the search and find several other threads that have discussed this.
I think it is prudent to already be inspecting every control surface hinge fitting at every condition inspection.

Last edited:
Back