What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Saving $ on Fuel Purchases with triple CC points

larrynew

Well Known Member
I recently noticed that I got triple points for 100LL purchased at an FBO using my Chase credit card. The Merchant Type on my statement for this FBO shows up as "Airlines and air carriers".

Anyone know how to identify other 100LL sellers with that Merchant Type? This may change my cheap fuel search strategy if there are others.

I'm hoping the FBO isn't a one-off with their Merchant Type. It was Spernak Airways Inc at Merrill Field in Anchorage. They do charter work as well as sell fuel.

Last edited:
Another similar savings method is with a cash back credit card that rebates the same % for all purchases on that card. (Mine is a Citibank card with 2% back, but I think there are others that do the same thing.) That way you don't need to look for FBO's with a particular merchant type.

Just my approach.

FBO's

Most all FBO's the merchant class is "gas" so pts are triple (Chase Freedom) and BOA is triple cash back. Don't know how to tell ahead.

For a few years I have been using a Costco issued premium CITI CC: It discounts fuel with a 4% pay back. That's 24 cents/gallon on $6/gallon fuel cost.
Reciently Sams Club offers a card that pays back 5% on fuel:but only on the first $6000 worth of fuel.

I’ll try again

Long time Costco member and my FBO code for Costco was not 4% so will try again.

Thanks for the input. Every little bit helps.

For a few years I have been using a Costco issued premium CITI CC: It discounts fuel with a 4% pay back. That's 24 cents/gallon on $6/gallon fuel cost.
Reciently Sams Club offers a card that pays back 5% on fuel:but only on the first $6000 worth of fuel.

I’m a Costco member and thought I was getting 4% based on executive membership 2% and CC 2%. But…Costco excludes gas at their stations from the membership 2%. You only get the 2% from the card.

Had to read the fine print to determine why my annual Costco rewards was short of expectations.

Back