What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Saturday Mission: Tahoe

rph142

Well Known Member
My wife wanted me out of the house for a few hours today so she could study for the PMP exam in peace. "Ill do anything to help" I said.
:D
About 45 minutes later I was cruising over the tomato fields near Lodi.

2m3377p.jpg

South Tahoe airport looked busy so I decided to land and check it out.

33m8ig7.jpg

I grabbed a quick ice tea and burger at the airport restaurant before heading over to Alpine County airport.

2v1k8jo.jpg

vifk2c.jpg

Alpine Co airport was exactly as I pictured it...desolate. The winds were calm so I figured I would check it out anyway.

2iiwj2a.jpg

I pulled off the runway and got out so I could listen to the sound of nothing; its hard to find pure silence in the bay area.

9ft92o.jpg

I wanted to swing by Kirkwood on my way out of the Sierras, but I settled for this big mountain instead. Pictures really dont capture the scale.

2vjvcxe.jpg

20 minutes later I decided to drop in low and slow over the delta.

2ui87co.jpg

Not a bad way to spend Saturday morning.

Last edited:
"A"-Typical Saturday

Nice job, getting out of the house and keeping busy.
Great photos!!

Just curious,
Where are you based?

OK, next time we have to coordinate Rob! Dayton and I flew up to Quincy for breakfast and then cruised back over the lake on the way back. We could have met up!

I'll catch up with you, but I have to go to SOCAL for the week, then back east for Oshkosh prep and the show - will be back out in early August, and we'll set a rendezvous.

Glad to see that you're not wasting time enjoying the airplane and the area.

Paul

Alpine Co. airport

I like Alpine Co airport, quiet and beautiful place and close too.

They have a nice fly in campground (unimproved) there that you might enjoy.

Last edited:
I took a quick look at Alpine on my way to BB yesterday - I think it could become a new regular camping destination for us. Good Rendezvous point for local RV'ers with camping gear?

Dare I say... a future Petit Jean West?!

I pulled off the runway and got out so I could listen to the sound of nothing; its hard to find pure silence in the bay area.

Great quote Rob! The same applies to NY area. Our magic carpets can bring us to a place of natural silence.

KCCR

Paul,
Shoot me a text the next time your in the area. I'm always looking for a reason to fly!

Wilco!
Funny, I use CCR as a "Starbuck's run" destination. Park at the hotel and cross Concord Ave.

Also,,
Earned my PPL at CCR, way back in the era of "General Air Services" & Andy T.

It looked like really nice fly in campground. I thought I saw a nice creek at the bottom of the valley if youre into hiking/fishing.

Marrying well sure has its advantages! Nice flight.

Last edited:
Back