What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sam James Cowl Question

BillL

Well Known Member
I bought a kit in progress and I am not sure if my SJ cowl has been trimmed. I am about to order my CS prop spacer (2.25) from Sabre and want to ensure the cowl is usable.

I sat the top cowl on the floor point up and measured 37 1/2 inches from the floor to the plane of the flange at the prop along the top curvature.

It is an "extended" cowl. How does this compare to an (your) assembled SJ cowl? Will there be enough to trim to fit? Is it really 2.5 inches longer than the standard Vans?

Thanks in advance.

Bill,
Call Sam or Will and confirm cowl.
You can use 2.25 spacer or C flange prop.
They will confirm length for you.

Good luck. Will look great .

Bill,
Call Sam or Will and confirm cowl.
You can use 2.25 spacer or C flange prop.
They will confirm length for you.

Good luck. Will look great .

Yes, I have talked to Will, great guy BTW. I already have the prop, and will get a spacer, but the Hartzell composite has a huge cord length and coarse pitch may get close to the cowl inlets.

I am asking those past this step what the ACTUAL, finished, measurements are for this cowl are when fitted.

SJ long cowl ...

I have the SJ long cowl, but can't get you the finished dimensions until I get back up to my hangar. I have a 4" Saber prop extension with my FP Catto.

Back