What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV9A Leg Stiffeners

ten4teg

Well Known Member
I saw on a site somewhere that this company manufactures leg stiffeners for the A model. Unfortunately, I can't remember the site or where I may stored it. Can someone help me find the leg stiffeners or some other options. Thanks, Tom

I saw on a site somewhere that this company manufactures leg stiffeners for the A model. Unfortunately, I can't remember the site or where I may stored it. Can someone help me find the leg stiffeners or some other options. Thanks, Tom

Flyboy Accessories (which recently acquired Cleveland Aircraft Tools) sells some RV gear leg stiffeners. Finding what you want on the Flyboys web site isn't necessarily easy, but here's a link to the stiffeners for the RV:

https://flyboyaccessories.com/products/rv-gear-leg-stiffener-set?_pos=1&_psq=stiffeners&_ss=e&_v=1.0

I made my own shimmy dampers based on Van's RV-6 plans (excerpt attached). I attach my dampers to the main gear legs with fiberglass reinforced strapping tape (Scotch Extreme), rather than the fiberglass cloth method discussed in Van's plans. My experience was that stiffners on the main gear legs (RV-10) improved shimmy problems very signifcantly. Perfecting nose wheel breakout force adjustment (getting exactly 26 lbs in my case) was also helpful.

Attachments

• Wood Shimmy Damper.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I have seen the tail wheel guys add them, mostly wood strips. I have never felt the need to add them to my 9A. 50% of my landings are formation flights which make things even more challenging. Curious what symptoms you are having.

Back