What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 Flap Switch Location

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
This seems like an ideal spot after looking at this photo of a friend’s 8. Good or bad choice for location?

Attachments

• 4855A36D-107C-4037-B383-5D0863BF16DF.jpg
    4855A36D-107C-4037-B383-5D0863BF16DF.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Are you talking about the flap switch as shown or where the red circle is? Your friend has the flap switch in the right location. The red circle area is going to be covered up with your knuckles when the throttle is full forward.

Last edited:
The flap switch shown (not circled) is a great location.

I have two switches - one a bit more central on the panel, and one on the stick. I essentially never use the one on the stick except when on the ground, just to exercise the switch. The RV-8 panel is so small the location is not that critical. I got my RV-8 transition training in an 8 with the switch very close to where it is on the photo, and I found that was an excellent location.

Underneath the panel where your photo shows the alternate air will probably not be that great, IMHO.

My flap switch is in the same place, not the circle one. On a go around, I can push WOT and retract the flaps with my thumb very quickly.

Both my flap switch and my alternate air control are in the same places as shown. I am happy with them both and will use the same locations on my next one.

My flap switch is a toggle on my Infinity stick grip. Its extremely intuitive, and I cant imagine it anywhere else.

Also, this switch is speed restricted by my VPX, so no accidental activation.

Just a different perspective …

My flap switch is a toggle on my Infinity stick grip. Its extremely intuitive, and I cant imagine it anywhere else.

Also, this switch is speed restricted by my VPX, so no accidental activation.

I fly my friend’s RV8 and he has the flap switch on the stick, connect to a VPX as well as one in the position shown.

In my RV8 it is on the stick grip and on the RV6 it is a toggle switch.

When flying my friend’s RV8, I ALWAYS use the TOGGLE (Bat Handle) switch. It just seems more natural.

Are you talking about the flap switch as shown or where the red circle is? Your friend has the flap switch in the right location. The red circle area is going to be covered up with your knuckles when the throttle is full forward.

Red circle, fingertips. Panel position, thumb.

Thumb makes more sense after hearing from you. Thanks.

In my -4, it’s located at the red circle and I love it. On a go around, I don’t have to hunt for it, I go full throttle, then reach for flaps up. My arm stays leaning on the throttle and it can’t walk back on you. I don’t know if I would like it panel mounted, as you’ll have to let go of the throttle lever, possibly move your eyes to look for it.. the red circle works for me.

Back