What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7A Engine

GrinchF16

Well Known Member
Have searched the site and seems most info on this topic is 2009’ish. So… I have an O-360-A1D in my 7A. Looks like a new (to me) engine may be in my future. If that is indeed the case, I would like to stay with my fixed pitch prop and I would like to go to fuel injection. Currently have one mag and one electronic ignition and would like to stay with that set up (unless there is a compelling reason not to).

BL - Can I do all that and what engine designations should I be looking for?

Short answer yes

Here is a link to the various Lycoming designations. You can refer to it when you are looking for engines.

http://www.pilotfriend.com/aero_engines/engine_specs/Lycoming%200%20360.htm

You are going to get a lot of opinions because there really isn't one right answer. It really depends on what you want. If I was looking for a new (to me) engine I would get one that has the ability for constant speed. You can run a fixed pitch prop on an engine that supports C/S but not the other way around. It is a minor modification to run the fixed pitch prop. Having said that the O-360-A1A variant is common and pretty easy to find, you could add FI. Or just purchase an IO-360-A1A.

Is there a reason not to rebuild your existing motor and add fuel injection? Or purchase a midtime engine and rebuild that while you continue to fly. There are businesses that salvage aircraft and sell the engines.

Back to your question, yes you can run fuel injection with fixed pitch prop and have one mag / e-mag.

Last edited:
Back