What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6 parachute fitment

grumman41

I’m a new RV6 owner (slider) looking for info for on parachute fitment-type and canopy egress or lack of. I haven’t fine tuned the aerobatic weight with two people and chutes, fuel, etc. This may not even be possible, just starting the research and welcome input.
Empty weight 1120 and gross 1750. Occupants around 120 and 185 without chutes, maybe 25 for chutes?

Edit, just seen the 1375lb limit for aerobatics…hhhmmm. Time to rethink a few things.

Last edited:
Akro in Our RV-6

It’s been a while since I’ve done any aerobatics in our airplane since I fell out of the waiver for the local waivered area. An RV-6 is pretty much a single seat aerobatic airplane. In our airplane, if my wife and I both go, with parachutes, we can take off with about 6 gallons of fuel so we burn down enough to get to aerobatic weight. So yeah, it’s not happening. No dual either, obviously. As far as parachutes, I wear a seatpack. It fits nicely on the floor and the pack height is about right for me with no cushions. I rigged a quick disconnect and stow system for the gas struts because I’m not so sure they’ll break away if I need to jettison the fish bowl.

Aerobatics in an RV-6 are great, but you will probably be limited to solo. If you have a tipper look at how (if) the canopy will jettison as it may not be possible, especially when airborne. With a slider investigate if it is possible to open the canopy once airborne - I've never owned one but believe it may not be. The seats take a slim backpack parachute, I have used a Long Softie.

Also a Weight and CG limit on aerobatics:
Aerobatic Gross Weight......................1375 lbs
Aerobatic CG Limit ..............................26.5% of chord OR 75.3” aft of datum

Attachments

• RV6wb.pdf
    13.6 KB · Views: 39
well, that's a bit porky for a 6 empty weight. Look for opportunities to get that lower. As others said, the 6 is basically solo for acro within the design limits.
A mini-Softie backpack, packed diaper down is what I used. Diaper down to give some lumbar support. (no seatback cushion of course) I also had the sheepskin pad added to the harness. A chute puts you a bit closer to the panel, but not horrible.
Replace the canopy frame roller bracket bolts with pull-pins (see other threads), and maybe, just maybe you'll be able to pull the pins and slide the canopy back enough for it to fly away. There is significant "lift" on the canopy, so it binds up pretty good in flight. Better to have the option than none at all!

I’m a new RV6 owner (slider) looking for info for on parachute fitment-type and canopy egress or lack of. I haven’t fine tuned the aerobatic weight with two people and chutes, fuel, etc. This may not even be possible, just starting the research and welcome input.
Empty weight 1120 and gross 1750. Occupants around 120 and 185 without chutes, maybe 25 for chutes?

Edit, just seen the 1375lb limit for aerobatics…hhhmmm. Time to rethink a few things.
Yep. Regular gross is 1650, not 1750, as well. Two-person aerobatics is limited to low-G manoeuvers, and don't screw them up.

Canopy egress can be accomplished on a slider with removable pins locking the slider rail wheel weldments into the frame. Pull the pins, unlock the canopy, and give it a tug backwards to clear the fairing. I bet the airflow would do the rest, or you could push up to help.

Yep. Regular gross is 1650, not 1750, as well. Two-person aerobatics is limited to low-G manoeuvers, and don't screw them up.

Canopy egress can be accomplished on a slider with removable pins locking the slider rail wheel weldments into the frame. Pull the pins, unlock the canopy, and give it a tug backwards to clear the fairing. I bet the airflow would do the rest, or you could push up to help.

I don’t think you can move the canopy even that far.
Perhaps you have tried or know someone who has?
Mine won’t even budge at normal taxi speed but I haven’t reefed on it.

I don’t think you can move the canopy even that far.
Perhaps you have tried or know someone who has?
I recall more than one person here on VAF mentioning that they had opened the canopy in flight but it would only go back a small amount (no more than an inch) before the force gradient increased beyond the ability of one arm to pull it back. Mind you, these were people casually experimenting, not people in imminent danger of life and limb. If and when that situation occurs, the adrenaline at the time will probably give you a bit more "pull" when you need it.

Mine won’t even budge at normal taxi speed but I haven’t reefed on it.
That seems very strange, as there's very little airflow (comparatively) over the canopy while taxiing. Does your canopy move freely when you're parked, or is there a lot of friction?

Thanks for the input gentlemen, probably is a little hefty with avionics, autopilot, smoke, etc. The primary mission is xcountry so I will have to compromise on the acro ability. A lot of compromises but I don’t know of another aircraft that will accomplish what I need on this purchase and hourly cost.

That seems very strange, as there's very little airflow (comparatively) over the canopy while taxiing. Does your canopy move freely when you're parked, or is there a lot of friction?

Smooth as silk. I honestly haven’t reefed on it. I misstated as I can open it at “normal” taxi speeds to cool myself in hot weather, but anything more than that and it’s really firm.
I’m not interest in unlatching it in flight to find out if it can be moved.

Back