What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV10 Air Conditing charge

Hello,

Just returned from OSH. On the way home my AC coils must have started freezing up because I felt small bits of ice blowing out the gaspers and the air flow substantially decreased. Upon landing a continuous stream of cold water drained out for a few min.

I am guessing that the system is low on gas. Does anyone have experience on how to charge these systems.

What pressures should I read hi and low side?
Should it be charged in flight or is ground run sufficient?

Thanks

It sounds to me like your evaporator is freezing up, usually a sign that your thermistor/thermostat circuit has a fault. Check that first!

When the evap freezes, the most common fault is with the blower motor not moving enough air or some other issue that would restrict air flow, like a blend door sticking. Second most likely is a failing expansion valve, IF your system has one. May want to ask the maker if the system uses a TXV or fixed orifice. With the latter, you should focus on air flow. You can't really get an evap to freeze, with all else being normal, if under charged and a system that has been stable for some time and untouched, can't really get over charged.

If the cabin was quite cool with the AC performing well when the problem occurred, I would start with the TXV. If the cabin was warm with the AC struggling to cool it down, I would start with air flow issues.

Last edited:
Hello,

Just returned from OSH. On the way home my AC coils must have started freezing up because I felt small bits of ice blowing out the gaspers and the air flow substantially decreased. Upon landing a continuous stream of cold water drained out for a few min.

I am guessing that the system is low on gas. Does anyone have experience on how to charge these systems.

What pressures should I read hi and low side?
Should it be charged in flight or is ground run sufficient?

Thanks
Check this website:
https://www.buyautoparts.com/blog/what-are-my-ac-pressure-readings-telling-me-about-my-ac-system/
It lists all kind of pressure readings and what the fault could be.

Thanks for the phone number to Bill. He answered right away and help me troubleshoot. Turns out one of the replies to my post was spot on. The thermistor was faulty and allowing the compressor to run continuously. Very easy and inexpensive fix!

Thanks for the phone number to Bill. He answered right away and help me troubleshoot. Turns out one of the replies to my post was spot on. The thermistor was faulty and allowing the compressor to run continuously. Very easy and inexpensive fix!

For sure, glad to hear it's an easy fix.

Back