What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV things to do while in Brighton UK area

tailcreek_flyer

I am heading across the big pond this weekend for a week of magnetic Bearing Control system investigation for a client of mine. I'll be staying in Brighton and working in Worthing. I expect I will have some free time over the course of the week to pursue anything related to aircraft. Any leads for RV shop visits or general aviation museums in the area? I've rented a car so getting about should be interesting as this is my first time driving on the left side.
Cheers
Cam Andres
C-FTLL RV9A (almost 25 hours of pure pleasure flying now)
C-FCAM CH701 (almost 15 years of tree top flying now)
Stettler Alberta

Hmmm, Worthing to Brighton is not the best drive ... Get ready to look on the other side for the rear view mirror and changing gear with your left hand. All the locals will laugh at you when you get into the passenger seat ... You will get to hate

Not a huge amount nearby. The nearest airport is at Shoreham - you will drive by it on the way to Worthing, but not a huge RV base - landing fees are expensive. Goodwood is another airfield to the west, not much RV related, but does have a Spitfire flying school, but just down the road is the Tangmere museum (ex WW2 fighter station) which has good reports, although I haven't been there. Be aware that the Goodwood is holding its annual Festival of Speed 25 to 28 June, so the roads nearby will be horrible. Its an all ticket affair, if you can spare a day (and get a ticket) its really worth going. Basically a hill climb through Lord March's back garden, but so much more, with a small aviation section, expect to stay all day.

From a non-aviation perspective Arundel castle is worth a visit, as is Chichester with its cathedral (near Goodwood) and Portsmouth with its historic dockyard, including HMS Victory. For outdoor activities walking along the South Downs is always pleasant at this time of year.

Pete

What about taking the train to the Battle of Britain Museum? Had a layover in Brighton and when I arrived at the museum it looked a bit run down. Was I ever mistaken once I got inside.

Hmmm, Worthing to Brighton is not the best drive ... Get ready to look on the other side for the rear view mirror and changing gear with your left hand. All the locals will laugh at you when you get into the passenger seat ... You will get to hate

Not a huge amount nearby. The nearest airport is at Shoreham - you will drive by it on the way to Worthing, but not a huge RV base - landing fees are expensive. Goodwood is another airfield to the west, not much RV related, but does have a Spitfire flying school, but just down the road is the Tangmere museum (ex WW2 fighter station) which has good reports, although I haven't been there. Be aware that the Goodwood is holding its annual Festival of Speed 25 to 28 June, so the roads nearby will be horrible. Its an all ticket affair, if you can spare a day (and get a ticket) its really worth going. Basically a hill climb through Lord March's back garden, but so much more, with a small aviation section, expect to stay all day.

From a non-aviation perspective Arundel castle is worth a visit, as is Chichester with its cathedral (near Goodwood) and Portsmouth with its historic dockyard, including HMS Victory. For outdoor activities walking along the South Downs is always pleasant at this time of year.

Pete
Thanks for the encouraging advise on driving in the UK Pete. My co-workers have shared somewhat similar experiences, right side shoulder checks and traffic circles going the wrong way (in my brain anyways). I'll follow up on the Goodwood festival and some of the touristy suggestions made. I'm sure I'll keep myself entertained.
Cam

Thanks for the encouraging advise on driving in the UK Pete. My co-workers have shared somewhat similar experiences, right side shoulder checks and traffic circles going the wrong way (in my brain anyways). I'll follow up on the Goodwood festival and some of the touristy suggestions made. I'm sure I'll keep myself entertained.
Cam

If you are driving, use the same rule as in the US...

Get into the car on the opposite side from the antenna... err, aerial. :)

If you are driving, use the same rule as in the US...

Get into the car on the opposite side from the antenna... err, aerial. :)
If my rental car has the antenna mounted on the centre line, I'll have a problem. Think I'll just do a pre-flight walk around, figure out where the steering wheel is and take it from there.

Back