What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Research at Oshkosh

rdt7

Patron
I'm just about ready to start building my RV-14. My tail kit is supposed to arrive in August and my shop and tools are all set up. I'll be at Oshkosh and my goal is to do as much RV research as I can. Specifically, I want to talk to interior vendors and avionics panel fabricators. I'm sure there are other vendors I should not miss and maybe certain events I should attend.

If you were a new builder, what would be on your must-see and must-do lists?

The conventional wisdom is to not worry about your panel until you're ready for it, because avionics progresses so quickly. These days, however, lead times can be unexpectedly long. Same for engines and props...

Other than Oregon Aero, I don’t think there are any other interior vendors at Oshkosh. I may be wrong. :rolleyes:

I suggest you attend one of the riveting workshops. Worth the time, if you have not done it before.

Cleveland Tool and TS Flightlines would be vendors I recommend visiting. They have a lot of stuff you might want to use in construction or incorporate in your build.

Last edited:
Aerosport Products for interiors as well. If they do not have a booth, Geoff is typically around to talk to and see finished interiors.

E

I'm signed up for the 2-day sheet metal basics workshop.

Agree, I would spend lots of time around the builders tents shooting/squeezing rivets in their materials.

I think talking to venders will be much more important at next years OSH.

Wait for avionics and lighting

Rule of thumb:
Don’t even think about avionics or lighting till after taxi testing.

If you have back issues and seating is a factor, then sit in the Oregon Aero seats. They even modified mine for free. Shipping on me . . .fair. But . . . no other vehicle seat can match the comfort. 35 hrs in 7 days and still comfortable - no back pain.

Mike Seager uses OA seats in his 7 trainer and recommended them.

Rule of thumb:
Don’t even think about avionics or lighting till after taxi testing.

Steve, how come? Is it just a timing issue? Don't order now because there will be better options later?

Yes. And if you have unexpected delays mid-project (life happens...), those avionics on the shelf will be rapidly becoming obsolete....or at least not what you will want when you actually need avionics. :)

Fly-mart grab bags!

Go to the fly-mart and get some grab bags of nutplates, assuming that's still a thing. 24 years ago I got one for $5 and I'm still using this and that oddball one that was in there (and also the extras of standard ones). Maybe not as important as back in the day when the kits were a little less, er, complete. But there's always going to be some doodad or mod where those will come in handy.

WARNING: Going into the fly-mart, you may want to only take so much money with you, if you know what I mean :D

Yes. And if you have unexpected delays mid-project (life happens...), those avionics on the shelf will be rapidly becoming obsolete....or at least not what you will want when you actually need avionics. :)

Absolutely what Sam says!!! I am so grateful that I didn't have any avionics on the shelf for my -8 build. An engine on the other hand, has been sitting on the floor printing money for some time.

Absolutely what Sam says!!! I am so grateful that I didn't have any avionics on the shelf for my -8 build. An engine on the other hand, has been sitting on the floor printing money for some time.

Yep, I ordered my engine first thing. Got the prop with it due to the $1,000 discount Vans offered. It was the first thing to arrive!

Hours Per Week

You need to ask yourself; How many hours per week am I going to put into this?
If its only 10, then wait for those avionics. If your into it for 20+, then start ordering almost everything. You're going to constantly be running out of parts. Moving partially completed task further along, but not finishing them. BO will be a familiar curse word.

You need to ask yourself; How many hours per week am I going to put into this?
If its only 10, then wait for those avionics. If your into it for 20+, then start ordering almost everything. You're going to constantly be running out of parts. Moving partially completed task further along, but not finishing them. BO will be a familiar curse word.

Good advice since part availability has become longer lead times but hard for someone to know what their time they are going to spend before they start. With building being such a large undertaking, plans and actual can very greatly. Until you have been building for a few months you don’t have a rhythm to adequately know your enthusiasm.

An engine on the other hand, has been sitting on the floor printing money for some time.

This is true for me too. Mines been sitting in the box for over a year now. I was hesitant to pull the trigger knowing I wasn't ready for one, but the threat of rising prices was too much to bear. Lycoming's documents say the storage materials are good for 6 months. A rep I spoke with said it can sit in that box for decades.

As for avionics, the only thing I've purchased remotely related was the AP servo brackets.

Airventure

Download the cell phone app.
Most important to me in the early stages was builder classes.
Select all the events and classes of interest. The phone will maintain the schedule, alert and even guide you by map. I found it really helpful.
In the down time, visit each hangar and talk to vendors.
Reserve time to wander the RV parking area. Take photos of models and areas of interest on the airplanes. Be sure to ask if someone is nearby.
Wander the flea market and stock up at B&C.

Don't know when you're arriving, but come to the RV Social on Monday if you're there and meet other builders. Then spend some time walking through HBC/HBP and have -14 builders show their planes and talk to them about building.

Back