What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV friendly airport near Chicago

edneff

Well Known Member
I'm going to be visiting a friend that lives in downtown Chicago in July. Can anyone recommend a nice friendly airport not too far away?

Thanks
Ed

Palwaukee is the closest GA but fairly pricey

I stayed there one night and the FBO wanted $25 for a ramp tiedown. They also had fuel at >$5 a gallon (that was last year when the going price for AvGas was $3.75 or so). Still, quite convenient.

Waukegan is about 40 miles north but way cheaper and close to the Metra (train) which is a very cheap way to get into the city.

The Only One I Used is Now Gone

There used to be a great one that I flew into just off shore on a man made island ... Oh well. The Volume II Flight guide shows several around and under the Class B. I have not used any of them but I would probably go for an outlier like Gary-Chicago, Aurora, Du Page or Waukegan. I actually haven't found any that aren't friendly except St. Augustine, FL when I touble shot an alternator failure (broken terminal) on the ramp.

Bob Axsom

Poplar Grove is an hour and a half out

Ed,

Poplar Grove is an hour and a half from O'Hare. An easy drive out I90 W. We have 17 RVs either flying or under construction at the latest count.

Bones

KGYY

It is a bit out of the way, but you can hop a train from the Gary, IN airport to downtown inexpensively.

I spoke with the people at Gary several times and they were very pleasant and eager to help out. Our trip was cancelled due to WX, but the FBO called the next week to say they hoped we would try again sometime soon. That made a nice impression on me.

Palwaukee and Midway

Both Palwaukee and Midway are fine and I've flown my RV-4 into both several times. Midway is nice because you can hop on the El and ride downtown. But you still have to pay the landing fee ($7.50). Every time I've gone to Signature, they waived the ramp fee with a fuel purchase.

Palwaukee has no landing fee, but gas is more expensive, and there's no El stop nearby. If you're having someone pick you up who lives downtown, PWK is a little easier to get to.

-Martin

DuPage County

Since Meigs was lost I have tried Lansing on the south side but it takes an hour by taxi (and not through the best parts of town). Though the overnight fee was reasonable in years past, the taxi ride costs more than a train ride.

This last month, from May 16-20, I needed to work a convention at McCormick Place so I tried Dupage County Airport (KDPA). The overnight fee was only $7 for my 6A, the full service fuel was in the $5.50 range, and the FBO was very helpful to take me to the Metra commuter rail station in Geneva. With an advance call they also picked me up at the train station on my return several days later. The ticket to ride all the way downtown to the Ogilvie Transportation Center (near the 400 block of Madison Street) was $5.65 (one way). The conductor will sell you the ticket after boarding, if the train station's ticket office is closed. I was able to bring three pieces of luggage on the train, but you can bring more if need be. It's a tight fit up the stairs, but if you go to the upper deck of the train car you will find a suspended shelf that runs the full length of the car on which to store your luggage. The seats are fairly comfortable, at least as good as a taxi, and not crowded during the daytime.

It takes about an hour to ride downtown. The train departs Geneva about once per hour during the week.

It worked out pretty well for me.

Lake in the Hills Airport

Another option is Lake in the Hills (3CK) which is NW of Chicago. If you can get a local to drop you off at the METRA train station in either Crystal Lake or Cary it is an easy ride into the city. There are also taxies available to get to the train station.

It seems Midway is the closest to downtown. Does anyone know how much is the overnight fee?

Chicago

I've been into Palwaukee and Midway recently.
PWK was easy and pleasant, but is north of the city, which may be inconvenient for you.

Midway is closest, but traffic can be intense if you're not comfortable with that. I would strongly advise you to avoid Signature at Midway. Signature refused me service, even though I had called them in advance to make sure it wouldn't be a problem that they wouldn't be able to hook my RV-8 up to their tug. They just kept saying "you can't park that thing here--you have to leave." I (hot-started) my RV-8 and taxied to Atlantic, where they were very pleasant.

In years past, I landed several times at Miegs field (RIP) which was a jewel. I could stand on the convention floor at McCormick place and point out my airplane on the ramp to friends. :-(

Last edited:
Back