What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV canopy issue - wrinkled

I am inspecting my RV 7 finish kit. The canopy looks like this, wrinkled. Is this something that I can fix during the build?

Thanks
IMG_2708.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg

The bottom edge is cut off for the install. I don't remember how much is cut off, but remember some wrinkles on mine also. How high up does the imperfection go? its hard to tell with the plastic on.

I am inspecting my RV 7 finish kit. The canopy looks like this, wrinkled. Is this something that I can fix during the build?

Thanks
View attachment 53376

View attachment 53377

Standard. That's the excess overhang from the blowing/forming/molding process. You'll be trimming all that off as practice (up to the two trim lines above the wrinkles) while fitting the canopy for the "BIG" cut separating the front from rear. It'll all make sense when you read that section of the build manual/instructions.

Last edited:
If I remember there was more that I cut off than I thought I would so you may be alright.

It looks like you are in Romania so sending it back is not really possible.

There are guys on the forum that make canopies that Im sure will instruct you on how to adjust it if it needs to be.

Good luck on your build.

As others have said, the waviness will get trimmed off because it is just excess material outside of the moulded area.
You can get an indication of the cut line by putting the canopy frame into the bubble and observing the position of the square side tubes against the bubble. The plexi will be trimmed off just above the square tubes.

You trim off the wavy flange when you fit the canopy to the frame. Cut it slowly because it easier to remove material than to put it back. The Vans finishing kit has the cutoff wheels but I didn't use them. Instead I used the Dremel Ultra Saw for the job. It cuts way faster

Last edited:
Canopy

You trim off the wavy flange when you fit the canopy to the frame. Cut it slowly because it easier to remove material than to put it back. The Vans finishing kit has the cutoff wheels but I didn't use them. Instead I used the Dremel Ultra Saw for the job. It cuts way faster

What he ^ said.
Check my blog (below).
I'm no expert but several articles may be helpful.
There's a four part series on the canopy and skirts.

Back