What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A vs RV-9 insurance

CaptPausert

All, I am going to have to order my fuselage in the next few months and I am considering whether or not to switch from an RV-9A to an RV-9. I spoke with an insurance broker and was told that they estimated a $350-$500 difference in price of insurance. I had always been figuring on about a $1000 difference. I currently have very little tailwheel time but can probably get some before I get my plane done. Since the 9 fuselage and finish kits are currently listed as $3800 less than the 9A kits even at $500 extra that is 7 years of insurance.

I would like to hear from someone who has any experience with this do those numbers sound about right? I have always preferred the look of the 9 and would really like to learn tailwheel but hesitated because of the extra insurance cost Thanks

After a couple years of RV-9 experience, the difference will be negligible. Don't let a year or two of slightly higher premiums impact your decision! The tailwheel is WAY more fun in my opinion and the RV-9 is especially docile as tailwheels go.

RV9 insurance and checkout

All, I am going to have to order my fuselage in the next few months and I am considering whether or not to switch from an RV-9A to an RV-9. I spoke with an insurance broker and was told that they estimated a $350-$500 difference in price of insurance. I had always been figuring on about a $1000 difference. I currently have very little tailwheel time but can probably get some before I get my plane done. Since the 9 fuselage and finish kits are currently listed as $3800 less than the 9A kits even at $500 extra that is 7 years of insurance.

I would like to hear from someone who has any experience with this do those numbers sound about right? I have always preferred the look of the 9 and would really like to learn tailwheel but hesitated because of the extra insurance cost Thanks

As a data point, I had almost no tailwheel time and I just bought a RV9. I didn't even consider a tricycle airplane because I like the look and experience of the convential gear airplane.

I don't know what the insurance would have been for a nose dragger but my insurance was $3300. Maybe it will go down a little next year when I have some conventional gear experience but not sure.

The one problem I had was my insurance required my check out be with a CFI that had at least 25 hours in a RV9 (not 7 or 6 or any other RV, it had to be a 9)

This can be a problem because there are so few RV9's and its hard to find an instructor that has time in one. I lucked out with a local CFI that had the time in a RV9.

I'm now in the midst of my check out in the airplane and I have to say I'm really enjoying the airplane although a better plan for me would have been to get 10 or 20 hours in a more docile tail dragger before I started in the RV9. My check out will probably take well over 10 hours.

I am building a RV-14A. I decided on an A model because I intend for this to be the last plane I fly and I think a tricycle gear plane will let me fly later into my retirement.
Good friend and CFI was a tail wheel fanatic a few years ago. As he has aged he doesn’t fly them any more. Admits it is too hard for him.
And last, let me say that my sky-toy while I am building is a Cessna 120. I LOVE the tailwheel. It is a BALL!! But I am only planning on building one.

Flame suit on.

I don't know what the insurance would have been for a nose dragger but my insurance was $3300. Maybe it will go down a little next year when I have some conventional gear experience but not sure.

The one problem I had was my insurance required my check out be with a CFI that had at least 25 hours in a RV9 (not 7 or 6 or any other RV, it had to be a 9)

Re: Nosewheel airplane.....just a data point...the insurance premium for my RV-9A is $1600 annually. I'm over 70.

The conditions for my transition (AIG at the time) also initially stated that the instructor's experience had to be in a 9A specifically (my instructor owned a -6A at one time). My broker ran that -6A experience by the underwriter and they said "OK".

Don't have the experience you ask.

I'm glad I did the tail wheel endorsement. Tailwheel is no different than a nosewheel in the air. On the ground, it will make you a better pilot.

RV's are easy to accumulate your tailwheel time in. Stable and the rudder gives plenty of control.

Like already mentioned after two years, you won't even know you are in a tailwheel.

Total luck for my training. To get the endorsement the IP focused on wheel landings for conditions in Alaska. Then for insurance had to have 5-hours with an IP in the RV. He focused on doing 3-point only: no matter the conditions.

Mike

Last edited:
I was a 20 hour tailwheel driver when it was time to fly my RV-8. My insurance wisely required 20 hours of transition training. The -8 is a well-mannered taildragger, so I was not too concerned about being able to manage it on the ground. In hindsight, those 20 hours of transition training were the best avbucks I ever spent. My transition instructor put me through the wringer in a fun way! I learned more about RV's and common sense best practices and felt totally prepared to do the first flight.
My insurance was around $1200 in 2008 dollars. The rate came down a bit at 100 hours. I don't think I could own a tricycle-gear plane after having so much fun with the taildragger.
One of the things I have learned about myself is no matter what kind of plane I am flying, I will always squirm in the seat a bit just before turning final...my palms are always a bit sweaty. Tailwheels teach you to be prepared...this is probably my body getting ready for the dance in case things don't go as planned...

Last edited:
First year insurance on my -6 was just over $3K. I had 200h tailwheel, and 5 hours dual in a -6, when I bought it. Second year was ~$2500, third ~$2200, then $2000 every year until last year when it went up to $2100 and then to $2200 this year. I've had it 13 years.

After your first year you'll have a large number of hours on type, which goes a long way to reducing the premium in future years. Don't give up the tailwheel for a short-term savings on insurance, would be my recommendation.

" . . . . . One of the things I have learned about myself is no matter what kind of plane I am flying, I will always squirm in the seat a bit just before turning final...my palms are always a bit sweaty. Tailwheels teach you to be prepared...this is probably my body getting ready for the dance in case things don't go as planned."

👍😃 I can relate to that. That feeling keeps me on my toes.

Back