What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A First Flight

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Well after more years than I'll admit, 15 years of paying college tuitions, and life gets in the way, N677AT took to the sky this past Saturday, Feb., 3rd
WHAT and airplane, smooth, fast, stable - flew hands off straight as an arrow. Cylinder head temps crept up into the 420deg range, but with a little reduction in power they were stable in the 330-370deg range. Flew with my instructor for half and hour between 75% and 65% power, then landed, de-cowled and inspected for leaks etc, making sure everything was satisfactory. Went back up for another hour spending most of the time at high power settings (engine break-in), but also did a little slow flight and power off stalls. Very stable in slow flight and stalls broke straight forward. Saw 155mph at 6.8 gph without gear leg fairings or wheel pants. I plan on spending a couple more hours with my instructor during phase I. My instructor has a 7 and said he was jealous how well my airplane flew!

Thanks to all here over the years who have generously answered all my questions and offered their encouragements. Here are a few pics, more to follow.

IMG_2406.jpg
IMG_2419.jpg

Congrats. You are going to love it.

Get those wheel pants on, they helped me reduce temps by allowing a faster climb speed

Also, make sure there is plenty of room between the front cylinders and the cowl inlet ramps. I had to rework mine, and I am still throttling the incoming air it seems. I think the o320 sits farther forward than the 360 does, so it makes it tighter.

Congrats, Tom! Don't beat yourself up about the build taking so long--it took me longer and I only had one college tuition!

And at the risk of a double entendre, it's good to fly with your pants on.;) You're not going to blow through Vne at high power settings for break-in unless you're doing crazy wild stuff.

That is great Tom. I wasnt able to do the first flight since I didnt have my license yet but I got to see video of it! I am having so much fun flying now and I am sure you will do the same. They are amazing planes. Congratulations and Im sure you are in for some fun days you will miss it terribly when you get around to painting it!!

Congratulations Tom! My first flight was last October. No wheel fairings either. Working out a few issues but really like the way it flies. Part way through Phase I and looking forward to my first trip.

Congratulations Tom! If you decide to explore the Wild West after Phase 1 you have a place to stay.
Thanks Vlad - you were a major source of inspiration over the years and the first one here to greet me when I joined Vansairforce. "What a long strange trip it's been!!"

Well after more years than I'll admit, 15 years of paying college tuitions, and life gets in the way, N677AT took to the sky this past Saturday, Feb., 3rd
WHAT and airplane, smooth, fast, stable - flew hands off straight as an arrow. Cylinder head temps crept up into the 420deg range, but with a little reduction in power they were stable in the 330-370deg range. Flew with my instructor for half and hour between 75% and 65% power, then landed, de-cowled and inspected for leaks etc, making sure everything was satisfactory. Went back up for another hour spending most of the time at high power settings (engine break-in), but also did a little slow flight and power off stalls. Very stable in slow flight and stalls broke straight forward. Saw 155mph at 6.8 gph without gear leg fairings or wheel pants. I plan on spending a couple more hours with my instructor during phase I. My instructor has a 7 and said he was jealous how well my airplane flew!

Thanks to all here over the years who have generously answered all my questions and offered their encouragements. Here are a few pics, more to follow.

View attachment 55516View attachment 55517
Congrats, see you at Oshkosh.

Consider a "step" climb when temps go high.... Just a small power reduction shows up in a cooling trend quickly.
Then advance the power back up as needed. (lower the nose and the power together...)
Love my 9A

Back