What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Wheel Torque Specs

VikingDriver703

I'm New Here
New to Van's forum although I bought my RV-8 (Did not build it) 9 years ago... This is my first post.

My plane is in annual inspection, and I would like to re-torque the main landing gear bolts where the main gear attaches to the fuselage. What are the torque values?

Thank

From the construction manual, here is the torque for the outboard attach bracket bolts that should be checked annually after the first 50 hours:

i-jrR4kF8-M.jpg

Below is a cheat sheet I made up. Use at your own risk.

i-H8RW4CL-L.jpg

Download (for free) the plans and construction manual. You will need to set up a Van's store account (for free) and supply the builder number for your RV-8.

Or you can buy the plans and construction manual on a USB drive for $10.

Last edited:
A good time to replace those horrible NAS679-6 nuts too. Get new NAS6606-27 bolts (longer threaded portion than the standard NAS6206-27) and new NAS1804-6 nuts.

Search for the old thread called "breaking news" for our test data on different nuts.

Yes to all of this, EXCEPT, if you traded your standard Van's gear for Grove Airfoil Gear legs, the bolts for the outboard wear plate are no longer the same length! The bolts needed now are -36 long, so NAS 6202 or 6606-36 long. The inboard bolts are unchanged.

Yes to all of this, EXCEPT, if you traded your standard Van's gear for Grove Airfoil Gear legs, the bolts for the outboard wear plate are no longer the same length! The bolts needed now are -36 long, so NAS 6202 or 6606-36 long. The inboard bolts are unchanged.

This is important!

Verify which landing gears are on your RV8, the stock Vans, or the fancy aluminum Grove airfoil gear. If you have the stock Vans steel landing gears then use the search function as mentioned in the thread.

Start reading this thread.
https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=42630&highlight=breaking

Last edited:
Back