What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Rudder on 7

dreed

Well Known Member
Hi all-

I installed the (now) standard RV- 9 rudder on my 7A, but I am going to install an 8 rudder and test which I prefer.

Question- and maybe I am just missing something. The 9 VS/Rudder has a taller glass tip (on VS) and the counter balance/horn of the rudder is taller too vs. the 8 rudder.

On my VS, the glass tip is not removable so I somehow need to add some height to the top rudder tip, unless I am just missing something. I need to measure, but I think I need to add 1-1.5" of height to the rudder tip on the 8 rudder.

I know others have made this move, so rather than reinvent the wheel I am looking for advice- or someone to point that I am a dope.

Attached a pic of my plane/rudder and a beautiful RV-8 to show what I am talking about

Thanks- Dan

80-rv7_stab_rudder_a758889d926141ad0e15e2dc030b4309e2c80313.jpg

80-rv_8_stab_rudder_3d828913bb673d99efd52cfb67cafac1aaa789b6.jpg

Just so you are aware….
The counter balance arm adds aerodynamic balance as well.
If you do what you are proposing, you will have an RV-8 sized rudder with the amount of aerodynamic balance of the larger RV-7 rudder.
This might cause undesirably light rudder forces. Can’t say for sure because I think you will be the first to have done it.
If your not interested in being that “experimental”, I would recommend changing the vert stab top fairing as well.

On my VS, the glass tip is not removable so I somehow need to add some height to the top rudder tip, unless I am just missing something.

Yes, you are missing that the VS fiberglass is blind riveted on. The builder/painter filled in the transition so that those rivets are not visible.

Just a little history; the original RV-7 rudder was the same as the RV-8 but Vans found out during testing that the RV-7 did not come out of a spin as quickly as they wanted so they put the RV-9 rudder on the 7. I had already built the RV-8 rudder and had put the VS fairing on the top. Van gave us the RV-9 rudder kit if we wanted it. I did installed it on my RV-7A.

The RV-8 rudder kit should have the proper balance weights but you will have to drill out your current VS fairing rivets and install the RV-8 VS fairing. All the parts should be available from Vans.

Dreed,
I drilled out the pop rivets that held on the taller RV-7 glass tip. I installed #6 plate nuts on the new 8-style tip, making the stab-mounted tip removable (I did the same to the original 7-style tip).

Now my original RV-7 rudder serves as the spare for my new 8 rudder. If I have to remount the old 7 rudder, I swap out the top tips as well.

Thanks All-

Sorry, I left out some info.

RVbuilder2002- I had wondered about that so thank you- definitely not my desire to be the first. I have a spare VS too that I could swap out along with the RV-8 rudder. It will add more work for sure, but is doable.

Mfleming, Thank yo- yup, I know that my painter covered up the rivets - I did it on all my tips. Looks better but adds complexity to this project. I guess that adds to the fun too? :)

DSmith- thank you. I was aware of this (actually when I purchased my Emp way back in 2000/01, I got the 8 rudder too (kit #581). Then I built the 9 rudder and gave an 8 builder the rudder parts as they messed theirs up and I never thought I'd need them again. I've got all the standard parts (tips, etc.) for both the rudder and VS, but was hoping I could just swap rudders, but it doesn't look that way. Guess it's a VS swap too, or some changes to tip on my original VS.

Last edited:
Thank you Scroll! I may consider that, the painter did such a great job I'd hate to hate to mess up the work with all my other tips/rivets/screws hidden, but maybe the better option vs mounting the new VS too. Would definitely make the swap easier after the initial work/repaint. As high up as those screws are, I don't think it would be that noticeable once it was done.

Just a little history; the original RV-7 rudder was the same as the RV-8 but Vans found out during testing that the RV-7 did not come out of a spin as quickly as they wanted so they put the RV-9 rudder on the 7. I had already built the RV-8 rudder and had put the VS fairing on the top. Van gave us the RV-9 rudder kit if we wanted it. I did installed it on my RV-7A.

The RV-8 rudder kit should have the proper balance weights but you will have to drill out your current VS fairing rivets and install the RV-8 VS fairing. All the parts should be available from Vans.

Just to put a fine point on spins in a RV-7 with the smaller rudder.

Here's some verbiage from the SB 2-6-1

From the narrative:

"We did find that the RV-7 spin recovery characteristics easily met
FAA requirements* for normal category* aircraft, but not those of aerobatic category aircraft*. (The AEROBATIC
category requires that the aircraft be able to recover from a 6-turn spin within 1¼ rotations. A NORMAL category
aircraft is required to recover from a 1-turn spin within 1 additional rotation.)"

From the conclusion:

"CONCLUSION:
Flown within the recommended limitations of Section 15 of the Construction Manual, either the original or the enlarged RV-7 rudder will provide adequate authority for spin recovery.

The substitution of an RV-9 rudder on an RV-7 improved spin recovery. With the larger rudder, the RV-7 will have
better spin recovery from whatever flight condition the pilot may encounter."

Don't forget to install new rudder stops too. They are different and the short rudder stops will allow a little more rotation. I made both and have a
"8" set in standby.

Michael- thank you

Bill- good point and thank you. I have internal stops now, but I'll definitely make sure they will work and modify/replace as necessary.

I just finished my original 7/RV-8 rudder to install on my RV-7A after I get the rudder painted. Apparently Vans hasn't lost confidence in the original 7 rudder since it appears that they continue to fly it on their RV-7A demonstrator as seen at Oshkosh last month.

DSC06696(1).jpg

RV-8 Rudder -vs- Powerline

I was searching the NTSB database trying to find any updates on N787NV, when I ran across another incident involving an RV-8.

The accident narrative and pilot's description of what he felt during the accident sequence belies the actual damage -- [photo]

Now, I know all things aren't equal, flutter <> shearing force, etc., but I have to wonder how a -7/9 rudder would have held up under the conditions of this accident.

Hmmm...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 10.12.30 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 10.12.30 AM.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 94
I was searching the NTSB database trying to find any updates on N787NV, when I ran across another incident involving an RV-8.

The accident narrative and pilot's description of what he felt during the accident sequence belies the actual damage -- [photo]

Now, I know all things aren't equal, flutter <> shearing force, etc., but I have to wonder how a -7/9 rudder would have held up under the conditions of this accident.

Hmmm...

Since it was sliced off be impact with a power line it is entirely possible the result would have been the same since a similar accident (power line encounter) happened quite a few years ago in Brazil with an RV-9A, and the vertical stab and rudder looked identical to this.

Back