What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv-8 Retrofitting new AFP boost pump

AN23

Well Known Member
We love our "new to us" RV-8 but I wasn't a fan of the non-standard fuel boost pump install. It worked but it just didn't generate the confidence in equipment that I require when flying. So, I decided to retrofit an AFP boost pump and install it exactly according to Vans plans. I wasn't confident that I could do it due to age, farm-boy build and the RV-8 lack of room in the footwell area. I just couldn't envision me being able to get all the tubing bent properly and everything fitted while trying to maneuver in and out of that footwell. I read of others expressing the exact same concerns. I'm fortunate to live within driving distance of AFP so, I went to see Don and he showed me his latest and greatest boost pump. It literally has a single line in and a single line out! No spaghetti! I bought the pump and ordered an install kit from Vans. I decided this would be a great time to replace the 14 year old hoses firewall forward so, on the recommendation of others, I called Tom at TS Flightlines. I was discussing my project with him and he told me he could make flexible line connections from the fuel selector valve, thru the filter and pump and then to the firewall fitting. Bingo! With the new boost pump design, flexible lines and the Vans install kit, I was able to install the entire system by either sitting in the front seat or working thru the removed front baggage floor. I turned it on for the first time today and it works great!

Thanks to Don, Tom and the parts people at Vans.

Back