What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 cockpit storage pocket

Lkitson

Well Known Member
I've been looking for a good way to store frequently used loose items like sun glasses in the space under the pilot's right side armrest in my 8. I looked at a number of storage systems intended for automobiles but couldn't find one that would fit in that area. For the last year or so I've been using an automobile sun visor organizer which worked OK but it didn't fit the space well and the main pocket was a bit small.

I was to the point where I was going to attempt to make my own when I stumbled upon this map pocket on ACS.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/mappocket.php

It measures 10 in x 10 in and the top of the pocket is 8 inches up from the bottom. That happens to be almost the exact dimensions required or that space.

It's a bit pricey but it looked like it was exactly what I needed so I ordered one.

This morning I installed it using adhesive backed Velcro and I'm really happy with how it fits and it looks great. The first photo below is the old organizer and the rest are the new pocket.

It only comes in black but that matches my interior trim.

Attachments

• IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0682.jpg
    IMG_0682.jpg
    646.7 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 131
I rode in the back seat of an RV-8 that had the fancy interior with map pockets like the one in your pic.

As a GIB, I hated it! Between rudder pedals and map pocket bulging with ****, I had nowhere to put my feet.

Since I'm going with VP-X, I won't have a CB panel on the right side. I'm going to try a make some kind of map pocket below where the traditional CB panel would go. Also, since I can't claim I've never screwed up and fallen out of the top of a barrel roll, I'm gonna make sure my map pocket has some way to close it so I don't FOD the cockpit when I make an oops.

Last edited:
I don’t have rear seat rudder pedals, and I’m not planning to put anything in the pocket other than my sunglasses iand phone so it won’t make a bulge so I don’t think it’ll make much of a difference to the GIB. No one has seemed to mind the previous pocket I had there.

For aerobatics I would take everything out of the pocket and secure it somewhere.

Last edited:
Get one with a zipper,OR, since you already have this one, just put some sort of velcro flap over it. Ya never know when you might wanna do an Immelman, or a barrel roll. If you've got your phone there, "darn, now I can't do any acro".:rolleyes:

Get one with a zipper,OR, since you already have this one, just put some sort of velcro flap over it.

I sewed up something similar myself, put a velcro flap on it. Sized it to fit a folded sectional. Currently has w&b, airworthiness and other paperwork in addition to a fuel sampler. Everything stays in place fine, as long as I remember to close the flap.

Did forget once, have video of the fuel sampler rolling along the canopy during a slow roll. Fortunately it landed where I could reach it and didn't jam anything.

Back