What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Canopy Lock

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
There are no instructions on how to install the canopy lock in the canopy installation instructions nor is there a diagram on the canopy plan.

Is the info elsewhere or do I have to wing it (pictures would be helpful if I have to)?

When I got the key lock for the forward baggage compartment, it came with two sets of locks and keys so I repurposed the second one as a canopy lock. Nothing fancy and it's certainly not going to stop anyone from breaking into the aircraft. I still have mixed feelings about it when I consider the work that went into the canopy. Would I rather they just steal my avionics and not break the canopy or would I rather they break the canopy and steal my avionics anyway? Catch 22.

I mounted a square aluminum block on the side rail and you can see how the locking lever comes down in front of the block.

IMG_7037.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7040.JPG
    IMG_7040.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7041.JPG
    IMG_7041.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7042.JPG
    IMG_7042.JPG
    929.7 KB · Views: 49
I’ve seen others with the long arm and a slot cut into the canopy rail.. I don’t have any pictures though.

I did mine similar to Carlos151, but used aluminum angle instead of blocks. I also added a second stop a few inches aft of the fully closed lock so I could lock it with the canopy open about three inches. It helps keep the interior a little bit cooler on a hot ramp while I have my $150 hamburger 😎

Back