What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 around Socal?

inktomi

Sponsor
Hi --

I have a bit of a dilemma in planning and I'm lucky enough that I've not started my build yet. I have all the RV-10 kits on order, and already have the empennage kit in fact (have not started the build, it's with Synergy at the moment up in Oregon and pending non-laser-cut spars). I know my family and I would love the RV-10 and it would be fun to be able to do things like pilots and paws to help out with charities and such as well. The RV-10 is similar to the Diamond DA40s I fly today. The RV-10 is a great stable point to point plane - and that stability was a driving factor in the choice as my family really does not like small planes and turbulence. My mission though is usually more solo flying just for the fun of it, enjoying the sunset along the coast somewhere, maybe grabbing lunch, just enjoying flight.

I will probably never have four people in the plane, or very very rarely when extended family is visiting. In fact, 95% of my flying will be solo... just "fun flying" around the southwest. The other 5% would be two folks.

The idea of an RV-8 for this sort of fun flying is really compelling to me. I love the idea of doing some very basic aerobatics, joining the IAC, etc. But having never been in a tandem seat plane I'm not sure if I'd fit (I'm over 6 feet tall) and if generally I'd like it from a cockpit size and set up perspective. It's also nice that the RV-8 ends up being more affordable.

While it's not far too late to change my mind, having only one kit not-yet started to sell and replace, does anyone in the Los Angeles general area have an RV-8 and would be willing to let me come check it out sometime? While if I build I'd build the tail wheel version, a RV-8A would of course be great to see if that's what you've got as the general plane is of course the same.

Yep, I think I replied. I’m looking forward to meeting you and your friend, and anyone else who happens to be around KEMT Sunday the 23rd. I’ll probably head up around noon and I’ll give you call beforehand. Thank you again!

Cable

And I have a 4 at Cable if you really want to see what you can fit. I'm 6'1" 180 lbs, and its not spacious by any means haha, but other than the usual gross weight and CG concerns with someone in the back I have zero regrets.

Kris

-8 At Torrance

I have an -8 at Torrance. I am 6’3, 240 and the front seat is very comfortable for me. I can literally fly all day long and not get tired or uncomfortable from sitting in the plane.

Skylor

Thank you for all the feedback and offers! I hope to be able to check out a plane next weekend - excited to both meet folks and talk about planes!

Back