What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 to 7A

Simon

Friend
Un-started -7 Fuselage kit, thinking of building as a 7A. Understand from Mothership I need a “7A Fuse unique outright kit”. Tried searching to no avail, any ideas of complete parts list or where I can find the mentioned kit, before I contact them again.

Have searched as far as I can see on forums without real success

I took my 9 to a 9A without much difficulty. I dont see why a 7 to 7A would be any different. I think they are the same fuselage? Im sure if you call Vans they can tell you what parts you need. People do it both directions quite often.

Build what YOU want. It will be your airplane. Have fun!

Besides the engine mount with the nose wheel, gear legs, gear weldments to the spar and the hardware, what else is different?

This has come up over the years usually a WTB offer for 7A parts resulted in a -7 poster wanting to trade.

Depending on which nose gear design you want, the older gear parts might be a thrifty selection.

I started an RV7 and then decided to change it to a 7A.
After receiving the package I changed back to wanting an RV7 and returned the whole shipment.

Attached is the part list. It is all contained in FUSE UNIQUE.
Note this is 2018 so before the improved nosewheel.
The price was a little over 1300USD

Attachments

• fuse unique.png
    fuse unique.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 86
7A parts

I started an RV7 and then decided to change it to a 7A.
After receiving the package I changed back to wanting an RV7 and returned the whole shipment.

Attached is the part list. It is all contained in FUSE UNIQUE.
Note this is 2018 so before the improved nosewheel.
The price was a little over 1300USD

That's some of it. Main gear are different. Noted on the list. Probably can be sold.
Covers go over the gear towers inside.
Gear towers for the 7A are different. Noted on the list.
The engine mount is different. Easy to sell the other one.
Buy the new 7A Engine mount and Elastomeric Nose Gear kit. Expect $3500 or more. It should have the fairing and pant but check.
Eliminate the tail wheel weldment or sell if you have it.
Main pants and fairings are the same because they are generic to several models.

Last edited:
parts

What is missing from the list are the steps. installed under the baggage floor. The gear legs are different and there is a gusset that is installed instead of the gear weldment.

As the floor is not yet installed it will work for either a 7 or 7A. As others have mentioned the engine mount is different and the cowling will need to be modified for the nose gear.

If I remember right, the aft bulkhead stiffeners are shaved down on the 7A. (Right in front of the rudder). Same parts, just remove them and cut them down. Since the steps are an option, and all the gear and motor mount is in the finish kit, I believe the fuse is the same.

Back