What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Tail on a Harmon Rocket

logansc

Well Known Member
Guys: I know the "norm" is to use an RV-4 tail with heavier skins on a Harmon Rocket, but was wondering if an RV-7 tail has been used instead to anyone's knowledge and/or if there are any well known reasons for or against that particular combination.

I'm posting this question in a couple of other places too, so don't be surprised...

Regards,

Lee...

I know that some Rockets have used the RV-8 tail. What's the difference between the RV-7 tail and the RV-8 tail?

Too wide

The RV-7 tail is too wide at the front spar of the Horz stab. The Rocket fuse is narrower at the rear deck area. The stab is set up for the 7 and will have the horz stab end ribs set apart for the taper of the 7 fuse. There will be a big gap in that area. It would take a lot of fiberglass work to fair all of that in.

Try the RV-8 HS w/ RV-7 elevators

The RV-7 tail is too wide at the front spar of the Horz stab. The Rocket fuse is narrower at the rear deck area. The stab is set up for the 7 and will have the horz stab end ribs set apart for the taper of the 7 fuse. There will be a big gap in that area. It would take a lot of fiberglass work to fair all of that in.

The RV-8 HS seems to fit nicely. The RV-7 elevators are used on the RV-8 HS.

Regards,
Jim Ayers

Back