What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 6 throttle cable cockpit mount.

Python

Hi All, I’m looking at changing my 2000 RV 6 tippers throttle , mixture & Carby heat mount from the current vertical set up to a horizontal one under the panel.Has anyone done this & what work is involved ? I realise that I would also need to have a new mount for the elevator trim. Any opinions or info would be appreciated.Cheers 🐍.

First thing to check is are your existing control cables long enough to reach the new mounting under the panel?
Second thing, get a copy of RV7 digital plans, one picture is worth a thousand posts.:)

I used .063 angle bolted to the bottom flange of the IP. My manual roll trim lever is mounted on the floor between the two seat cushions on my RV6 (per plans on mine) - black lever barely visible in third picture.

IMG_2289.jpg

IMG_2988.jpg

IMG_2967.jpg

what work is involved ?

Verify cable lengths, but if the current ones fit the center vertical piece I'd be surprised if they aren't long enough to go horizontally.

All it would take is a piece of angle with appropriate holes in it attached to the lower panel lip. There needs to be a secondary support as well. The RV7 just adel clamps the cable housing to the bottom lip of the sub panel about 8" fwd of the knobs. I imagine the 6 does something similar.

The biggest hassle is going to be pulling the entire cable back through the firewall so you can get it out of the current mount and then thread it all back into your new mounting solution.

I bent my own out of spare .063, observing bend radius. Four #8 screws with nut plates on the instrument panel flange. Eazy Peazy.

Should have added, the RV7 fuel selector plate that sits on the “dog house” has provisions for the trim cable and knob mount.

IMG-0604.jpg

Not the best pic from a later electrical upgrade but shows the brackets for the controls cables and trim.

Back