What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 prebuy check list

swjohnsey

Well Known Member
Going to buy a RV-4 in a week or so going to do pre-buy. It is RV-4 #999, old U.S. N # N32KL, Canadian # C-FNEF IO360 Hartzell CS prop.

I know about the firewall weldments and elevator skin cracking. I would appreciate any other problem areas I need to look at.

Before you get into the mechanics of a pre-buy, take a good look at all of the paperwork. This should include but not be limited to logbooks, ops specs, Phase I signoff, weight and balance and Airworthiness Certificate. I have inspected several RV's that had been flying for years WITHOUT a Phase 1 logbook signoff.

Before you get into the mechanics of a pre-buy, take a good look at all of the paperwork. This should include but not be limited to logbooks, ops specs, Phase I signoff, weight and balance and Airworthiness Certificate. I have inspected several RV's that had been flying for years WITHOUT a Phase 1 logbook signoff.

He has the Canadian airworthiness certificate along with the original U.S. airworthiness certificate. I will have to get another airworthiness certificate which will entail an inspection by a DAR when I get it back under U.S. registration. I will fly it from Oroville, WA to Bishop, TX on the Canadian registration. I will take a close look at the logbooks to insure there is a Phase I signoff.

Additionally, check to see that acrobatic maneuvers are included in the sign off, otherwise they are not legally permited.

Pictures of logs, firewall, SBs, emp

Enjoy the hunt!

Get pictures of several of the first pages and last pages of airframe, engine and propeller logs.
Look for ADs complied with on engine and prop.
Look for trends in engine data recorded.

Get high definition pictures of:
All SBs complied with
Firewall lower area near motor mounts
Empennage
Behind panel

Show these pictures to an A&P and/or EAA Technical Advisor. Discuss.

I bought a flying RV-4 and these things worked well. I was taught by an A&P IA who is a repeat builder.

Last month I finally picked up my flying RV-7 after looking at five remotely as described above and two in person. The first one my A&P and I helped the owner/builder complete his overdue condition inspection while also going through a thorough pre-buy. After two days my A&P I paid to expertly assess the plane helped me place a value on the plane. The owner was quite offended I didn’t give him a full price offer and did not want to negotiate.

The second one I looked at was priced fairly and I ended up giving him full price.

You might consider making a conditional offer after talking with your expert advisors, before traveling to look in person. Decide on a price you’d pay if it looks just like in the pictures.

If after looking there’s a squawk list the conditional offer can be reinforced by asking the seller to correct the squawk list or lower the conditional price.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Back