What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 crash

A retract ?

"Police said the pilot lost control of the airplane as he tried to land it with its landing gear up."

Are they correct with that statement ? or did the gear just collapse ?

Last edited:
I saw an article on Aero-News.net that said the pilot lost his canopy during takeoff and landed back on the runway hard. The note said that the canopy was "non-standard" for the RV-4 series, meaning that he probably had a slider installed rather than a tip-over.

Bryan Carr up here in Canada built a retractable RV-4 many years ago. It was eventually imported into the US. I think I recall hearing that he was working on another one, but that could be my mind playing tricks on me. The RV-List archives have more info on the aircraft.

Photo 1
Photo 2
After import to US

Kevin Horton said:
Bryan Carr up here in Canada built a retractable RV-4 many years ago. It was eventually imported into the US. I think I recall hearing that he was working on another one, but that could be my mind playing tricks on me. The RV-List archives have more info on the aircraft.

Photo 1
Photo 2
After import to US

Dang, I've been busting my hump trying to build just one standard vanilla day vfr RV4 and every time I turn around somebody's building one of these show stoppers! Where do you guys find the time/skill/patience/money??!

Canada/US retract RV-4

rv8pilot said:
As far as I know the only RV4 with retracts are german built????

J?rn M?ller
RV8 205hours
Not true there is a RV-4 retract in the state and the guy who original built it and sold a few kits was in Canada. I know because the plane was based at AWO and knew the owner, who bought it from the guy in canada. I have seen the German RV-4 RG, but not sure if that used the same RG kit. G

gmcjetpilot said:
Not true there is a RV-4 retract in the state and the guy who original built it and sold a few kits was in Canada. I know because the plane was based at AWO and knew the owner, who bought it from the guy in canada. I have seen the German RV-4 RG, but not sure if that used the same RG kit. G

Happy 1000th post, George :)

The RV-4 in question was NOT a retractable gear. The gear was crushed under the fuselage. The canopy was his own design, similar to a T-6 canopy. It had a fixed windshield with a tip-over canopy modified from an RV-8 canopy. Both of the occupants received broken backs. One of them had surgery Sunday and the other was scheduled for surgery today. No further word on their condition.
BTW, to make matters worse, they were on their way to a funeral.
Mel...DAR

Went to Farmington, MO to look at a used Lycoming engine and the person had a RV-8 in his basement with retractable gear mounted in the wings. Not finished yet but looked funny sitting in the basement with the wings, and engine mounted.
Squeak
Indiana

Sorry to drag this thread back to the original subject...

I took pics of this plane at OSH and it is not a retract. I think this was the guy that cracked his canopy so he made it a fastback instead. He had a really slick set up IIRC. Don't know him but as a fellow RV-4 pilot I'm really sorry to see this happen.

There is a red and white RV w/retracts that I see at AWO often and I remember one that was in barnstormers a couple of years ago out east (NC?) selling for a lot of money.

Chuck

Back