What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14A Legs

Doug Rohrer

Well Known Member
I am at the point of inserting the big flat gear legs into the fuse on my -14A. The fuse is still on a rotisserie so I have fairly good access to both sides. I cannot get the gear leg to go far enough into steel bracketry inside the skin to even begin to get the first bolt inserted. I tried putting a little grease on the black coating on the gear leg, but I still cannot force it in far enough. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't want to use the big hammer solution.

The legs have a thin layer of some kind of soft material right where it goes into the fuse brackets. I assume it is needed to avoid steel/steel contact when the gear leg flexes, but it seems that is what is jamming things up. I will call Van's tomorrow to see what they say.

Many builders have had to remove not only powdercoat but some steel: I just gradually worked the bulging part of the bend (using scotchbrite wheel - some just use files) until it fit. (My method very slow but I felt more comfortable that way and the surface stayed nice and smooth).

Covered well by "E" here:

https://rv-14a.blogspot.com/search?q=gear+leg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I just had to grind a little powder coat and some steel off the legs and then they could be persuaded to go in. Vans builder support says this is very common.

Back