What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 playing with a P51 Mustang

Although I would love to get a ride in a P51, I can honestly say I had more fun in the back, open canopy, of the T6 watching the P51 and RV-14 flying in close formation!

Got to fly some formation with "Tigers Revenge".
1000000760.jpg

nice work. i would suggest working in shutter speed mode with a slightly slower speed to get more prop blur on the stills. but very nice work!

I was supposed to be in the Mustang but had to settle for a formation flight. Note the P-51 flaps were down at my cruise speed.

Attachments

• IMG_1207.png
    IMG_1207.png
    6.6 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0564.jpeg
    IMG_0564.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 85
A good friend of mine owns "Angels Playmate" P-51, and he had an RV-4, now has an all black F1 Rocket. I've had fortune to fly my RV-4 in formation with all 3 of those machines, as well as back seat of the Mustang. The P-51 ride was fantastic, and honestly, the cockpit isn't far different from being in the RV-4, however the "grin" is much wider. Fuel flow of about 57 GPH while playing around in the P-51...Yikes!

A good friend of mine owns "Angels Playmate" P-51..... Fuel flow of about 57 GPH while playing around in the P-51...Yikes!
Ain't it cool that a Mustang guy is also into RVs? That's a smart feller right there!

And 57 GPH, I feel that pain; I'm part owner on a T-28D, plus get to fly T-6s and the SB2C Helldiver with the CAF. These are some badass airplanes and it's a privilege to be able to fly 'em, but man, the fuel/oil cost, plus the labor involved to fly these things, it gets painful! And while out trundling around in the T-28 is cool with the sound, feel and overall vibe, the whole time I'm in it I'm watching the fuel gauge headed downward at 50 GPH and feeling my wallet get lighter...

In my humble opinion, an RV is just the best all around package on the spectrum of fun/affordability, the best bang for the buck, the best for Total Performance. If I had a sugar daddy to help with fuel $$ and a helper for oil clean up and hangar in/out, yeah, I'd fly the T-28 more... but the RV just wins out most of the time.

A Mustang flight though... yeah, that's still on my "to do" list!

Last edited:
This is why so many former military Jet Jocks or those flying other amazing aircraft (oh, say like a KC-135 tanker, for example! 😊) now fly one of the RV fleet of aircraft! As close as you can get to flying a military aircraft on the civilian market. I recall reading somewhere about what Doug Rozendaal thought about flying (then) his RV-4. Being a pilot who has access to a bunch of different aircraft, he once said (don't quote me; it was a while ago, but this is close) that the RV-4 flew most like a Cosair and, even with access to a P-51, the RV-4 was his favorite airplane! I also remember someone in an RV-4 flying formation with an F-16 who had to go 'all flaps' to keep the speed down to allow the RV-4 to keep up! I wish I could remember who that was.... Would THAT be a kick!!

Back