What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Landing Light Kit or Part Numbers

RVFan671

Well Known Member
My wings will be here in about a month and I plan to order the FlyLED seven stars leading edge landing light. I'd prefer the larger cutout of the RV-14 kits and before the 'new' Vans webstore there was a page dedicated to purchase the lens/mount kit. With the new webstore I have been unsuccessful in locating that kit. I reached out to them to inquire where to find the kit via the Support team and they were also unable to locate it and shared the AERO LED kit which is NOT what I want. Can someone who has used the RV-14 leading edge mount kit provide the kit contents and/or a link to the new webstore's product location for this part?

Found it!

Finally after more scrummaging through VAF I located a thread with the details on post #6 and #7 that provided some key search terms for the Vans Webstore.

Here is the product on the Webstore
Here is the thread I located the details from

Finally after more scrummaging through VAF I located a thread with the details on post #6 and #7 that provided some key search terms for the Vans Webstore.

Here is the product on the Webstore
Here is the thread I located the details from

I'm a little confused. Post #7 in the thread you linked-to indicates that the lens and lens-retainer are RV-14 parts.

But the kit you linked to in the Van's store indicates it's an RV-10 kit.

Has the RV-10 kit been "upgraded" with the (larger) RV-14 parts? Is it still necessary to order parts from Duckworks to mount Seven Stars fixtures behind these lenses?

Hi Brad

The "RV-10 kit" in Van's store I think is a reference to the fact that the -10 does not come with the landing light bay as standard and lots are asking for them!
It includes all the parts you need for both wings.

In the linked article Dustyone already had the Duckworks setup in his wings and was changing to the Van's parts, in part to help deal with a dent from a bird strike.

Note that I have changed the shape of the Seven Stars light slightly since that first post was made, and the lights are now much easier to fit into a regular light bay.

The "RV-10 kit" in Van's store I think is a reference to the fact that the -10 does not come with the landing light bay as standard and lots are asking for them!
It includes all the parts you need for both wings.

In the linked article Dustyone already had the Duckworks setup in his wings and was changing to the Van's parts, in part to help deal with a dent from a bird strike.

Note that I have changed the shape of the Seven Stars light slightly since that first post was made, and the lights are now much easier to fit into a regular light bay.

Thanks for the clarification, Paul. I bought the Seven Stars lights earlier this year (around Oshkosh time).

Are the units I bought of the latest shape (much easier to fit into a regular light bay)? They're still in the box :)

Yes they will be the new shape. I took the top and bottom edges off the circuit board so it now (in most cases) fits through the leading edge opening.

2380764885.jpg

Paul. I bought the seven stars and am about to install in a new build using an RV 10 kit I got from Vans. The light and heat sinks fits perfectly into the mounting plate. However it seems that the board is just a tad too wide to be able to secure it to the mount horizontally. Is it ok to turn the light 90 degrees and secure it at the top and bottom instead of in the side? The mounting plate is slightly higher than the width. Not sure if it matters for how the beam may be aimed.

Hi Tommy
No issues with mounting the Seven Stars lights at any clock angle. The diffuser lens for taxiing has a circular beam pattern, so it works the same in all orientations.

DWG OP-52A RV-10/14/14A LED Landing Light Drawings

If you log on to your Vans Aircraft Store account and search for the OP-52A Construction Drawings, you will find all the correct templates for cutting the leading edge hole. Also all part numbers and construction detail.

AM-JKLUQc9VxxW9f-gSBaN0ycgMv6mRjaBmTV8lm1_EpL0iUuBD-4Eh3xPx8z5GlvV47lmUrD9H4g2U9VaugqSUT_pL7BM9TIM11Po_hkfEcsV-OholxmilDcdXfwzd0ZWr5_WnIj3nclslu4iiWqOjPFszy5A=w990-h743

AM-JKLW6hjLOn5-69-eS2v3ctFw4l61yrmlW49TI_6d3AfsEwrKrM4mAtDWKXEiWcG9vSkd4JrtABsGSrj2CBhnaGe9PK3RfNMBF4BV7XJo26qAEtxImxHDiuSDCkDUIPO4TvdP6ZKvLC8WA1YRxT6oT_pl8Lg=w558-h743

As just mentioned above by Tommy, for the RV-10, the Seven Star Led lights need to be clocked 90 degrees and new nutplates installed. the below picture was taken before the new nutplates were added to the brackets.

AM-JKLWYRPtg1sHTBVrA8H83nYMzrQtGYzSA6DvdnBt-YrNouqPi9kDibHLo4PaEYjtcK6_S3zCFouBOh8U7PxCyUl_4eK8W1Gn6Iaysls3_DwTBEw34_G1eEe_V_Jgxa3LOSe7kpGXGfvwgUP4oLuBMy_6oXQ=w558-h743

What’s the difference between the Ductwork’s and Vans kit? Is the hole different size or is one better setup for the 7 Star light?

Hi Mike

The hole in the leading edge is much larger in the Van's kit, allowing for the light to spread wider off-axis.

The light bracket for the Van's kit is riveted to the top and bottom wing skins, as per Dustyone's picture above. The Duckworks bracket attaches between two wing ribs inside the wing instead.

The Seven Stars lights will (usually!) fit into either kit type without issue.

Back