What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12iS Engine start problem

Steve GA

I'm New Here
2022 SLSA RV12iS - 5 times now, turned key to start - nothing happens. A&E replaced lead on starter solenoid 3 times now but that is not the problem. All appears normal as I go thru startup checklist but I turn the key and nothing happens. Sometimes fuel boost pump also shuts off. Anyone else have this happen? Rotax 912iS.

Have you completed service bulletin SB 00058 and service letter SL 00072?

Problem update:

Yes, my RV is current on all SB's. You are correct in your question, however, because the solution is found in the documentation for SB-00058.

Let me say first that this issue should not occur in the first place. I believe something must be overheating under the cowling because this issue seems to be heat-related.

I am lucky enough to have Nick Syracuse at my home airport. Nick observed the problem, did some digging, and has provided me with the necessary work-around to ensure I don't get stranded at some remote airport. There is a "NOTE:" at the bottom of the SB-00058 documentation that describes how "Start Power" is disengaged on engine shutdown. Supposedly "Start Power" can be reengaged by cycling the Master Switch, but in my case that does not work. Instead I must flip on the EMS Backup Power switch to start the engine.

This disclaimer is in the documentation but I failed to appreciate how it applied to me. Many thanks to Nick Syracuse for helping me out here. He is an RV expert with more experience probably than anyone.

From SL 00072:

"The AV-60007 Ignition Module includes an onboard microcontroller device that controls
start power during the aircraft start-up sequence. After starting the engine, the Ignition
Module automatically disconnects start power, and the Rotax 912iS directly powers the
fuse box and fuel pumps. Van’s aircraft has found that after completion of SB-00058, the
Ignition Module may time out early and shut off the fuse box and fuel pumps before
starting the engine.
Before engine start, if you find that the fuel pumps shut off automatically one minute after
turning the master switch on, complete the steps in this Service Letter. This behavior is
not observed in every RV-12iS and may be intermittent."

We had this problem and it sounds like you do as well.

Installing the new start microcontroller in the ignition module per SL 00072 (June 2023) solved the problem.

While using the EMS switch to start the engine will work it is not ideal as it bypasses the ECU self checks.

If you have completed SL 00072 and still have the problem, perhaps you received a faulty microcontroller and should contact Vans tech support about a replacement.

Back