What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Milestone 600 hours 2-3-14

JBPILOT

Well Known Member
It has been a very cold and windy winter in Iowa. Got 2nd tank mod & vent done, and able to fly again. Smooth, but temps were not too bad. About 18F on the ground.

P1020528_zps1a6ec624.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Awesome! have you sent the gearbox in for its 600hr check? I wonder what the fleet hours now with all flying 12's.

If I read the maint manual correctly - -

If you use mo-gas only. I believe that goes to 1,000 hours.

Are you guys referring to the dog slippage check where the large torque is required? If so does anybody know what the up side is to doing it? When I was at the ROTAX IRMT course the instructor said it was to ensure the dogs will slip in the event of a prop strike to protect the engine. If that is really all it accomplishes I don't think it's worth the time and expense to me. Does anybody have any insight on the value of this check?

My GUESS is - -

a good time to look at bearings and gears also. Basically, if you break the prop, you likely will have many things to work on. I'd think you would want to check the crank if you had such an event anyway. Not sure it is that expensive to have done by an authorized service center.

All you need to do now is to actually take off from the runway. Taxing around for 600 hours doesn't count. ;). Just kidding. :D

Well done John.

Now add smoke!

Hey Mitch, how many hours on Blue now? I am pretty sure you and JB are at the head of the pack?:confused:

Worth noting - -

my EAA chapter asked me to be the chapter "fly-out" coordinator. It gives me even more places to go and enjoy. Usually stay within 150 miles of my airport. Still enjoy flying this great little plane. Economical and good enough speed to get you there. That is the reason for this thread each 100 hours. Hope it inspires those building to keep working.

Back