What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Kavlico Sensor Update

Flyguy16

I'm New Here
I have the D-180 on my RV-12 and the oil pressure sensor went gunny bag on me. I went through the process as best I know to update to the Kavlico 150 PSI sensor.

Updated the Firmware IAW VANS/Dynon instructions successfully and switched to sensor type 5 for oil pressure.

IAW the instructions I spliced into the MAP sensor 5v and ground wires.

I installed the included resistor in-line with the signal wire (green) and ran it to the Firewall forward pin 15. I get 7ohms as expected between the sensor plug and that pin. According to the wiring diagram from vans, the firewall plug pin 15 runs to pin 6 on the D180 EMS input. When I test that, I get 220 Ohms from the plug to the EMS input PIN. Seems odd, except that the diagram has an internal 200 ohm resistor between the EMS input and ground. Could be nothing but I thought worth noting.

All that to say, here's what my EFIS shows:

Engine off, sensor plugged in: 0PSI
Engine off, sensor un-plugged: 38PSI
Engine Idle: 29PSI
Engine above idle: 26-24PSI (Ish)

None of the readings make sense. I also attached a hand pump to the sensor and provided it 30 PSI. No changed occurred.

Anyone else had similar problems, or have any ideas on what to try? I'm all out of good ideas.

Main Board Bypass

Well... in case anyone has a similar problem, my theory about the 200 Ohm resistor was correct. The main board in the RV-12 between the Dynon and the sensor had the resistor on the board. Rather than try to take apart the main board, I pulled the lead from the Kavlico sensor and re-routed it directly to the D180 EMS cable. Works like a charm.

Back