What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Center Panel Space

bbaggerman

My legacy RV-12 is equipped with the standard Garmin SL40 radio in the center panel. I have dreams of someday having a better avionics, maybe even an IFR certified navigator.

When you look at the center console it looks like there should be plenty of space but when you look harder, especially behind the panel, it is clear there is really only space for that dinky SL40.

I have thought about reworking the fuse and switch panel. Internal VP-X electronic circuit breakers and switches moved to under the panel would free up a lot of space. The Dynon panels aren't huge but maybe they could be moved somewhere else.

What have others done to get more center panel space for avionics?

Attachments

• rv12_panel_1.jpg
    rv12_panel_1.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 122
  • rv12_panel_2.jpg
    rv12_panel_2.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 107
  • rv12_panel_3.jpg
    rv12_panel_3.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 121
I have thought about reworking the fuse and switch panel. Internal VP-X electronic circuit breakers and switches moved to under the panel would free up a lot of space. The Dynon panels aren't huge but maybe they could be moved somewhere else.

What have others done to get more center panel space for avionics?

I build my RV12 with the VPX system. I really like the functionally and I went with Rock Rack switches attached to the VPX. The panel was cut by UpNorth Aviation, he has the Cad Drawing with dimensions and can cut what works best for you.

Attachments

• IMG_0537.jpg
    IMG_0537.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 169
You can stuff a certified IFR Navigator in the panel, I have an IFD540 shoehorned in with almost zero clearance to the firewall. Looks like you would have to move the Transponder and ADS-B in addition to the other Dynon panels. You could go with a Garmin GNC355 and remove the existing radio to combine the GPS/COMMs or add a GPS175/IFD440 above it.

Also, watch the power budget as you already have dual SV-D1000s and may want to add a heated pitot if you really want to fly in IFR conditions. Plan on another GPS antenna and a VOR/ILS antenna.

John Salak
RV12 N896HS

An option with one screen

Here is an option I measured carefully. I also spoke with Stein and worked out the wiring to include the GPS 175,

I however bought a 10 which I love for IFR and decided I would only use the 12 as my fun machine.

Attachments

• RV12 w GPS 175.pdf
    281.3 KB · Views: 151
Used MGL ECB's. Worked as a charm, easy adjustable via EFIS.

MGL has an, ummm... interesting policy on who they will sell to. They won't sell to you if your application has the slightest hint of military connection. OK, that's their choice. But if find it interesting that they explicitly state that they are OK with government civil police surveillance applications. I need to process that a little bit before I am ready to do business with them.

Back