What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12: 2-blade prop vs. 3-blade prop

mvanwyk

I am in the queue for a factory-built RV-12iS -- completion estimated to be mid-2024. My question(s).
What are the pros and cons of 2-blade prop vs. 3-blade prop including cost? How much more is a 3-blade prop? What are the performance differences? Etc.?
Are 3-blade props adjustable like the 2-blade prop?
p.s.
I just found this:
https://www.vansaircraft.com/2020/02/three-blade-propeller-for-the-rv-12-rv-12is-available/
Anybody wish to share their experiences?

Last edited:
Hi Mark,

Eric here (recently retired Van's RV-12 SLSA guy...)

The 3 blade prop is a bit more expensive (Aric from Van's can tell you exactly how much more expensive. But take a look at your original order form and that will give you an idea of the increase. Might have changed since the order form was published.)

I've flown both the 2-blade and the 3-blade extensively. I've noticed almost zero performance difference between the two. The 3 blade is a bit smoother in operation. If you've flown behind a 2-blade/ Rotax combo before, you'll notice that the 3-blade/ Rotax combo sounds like it's running at a higher RPM (It's not!) It's a little off-putting if you're not used to it. Funny thing is, in the early days of flying the 3-blade, I found myself subconsciously pulling back the power to get the frequency where I expected it. I'd glance down and find myself running several hundred RPM slower that I wanted! I was finally able to cure myself of that un/ sub-conscious habit!

Enjoy your 12iS! It's a fabulous airplane!

Partly it comes down to aesthetics. Some people think the 3-blade looks better. From my experience, when you are working on the engine with a 3-blade there's always a blade in the way. The latest Sensenich 2-blade hubs do not require annual disassembly, which used to be an argument against.

Partly it comes down to aesthetics. Some people think the 3-blade looks better. From my experience, when you are working on the engine with a 3-blade there's always a blade in the way. The latest Sensenich 2-blade hubs do not require annual disassembly, which used to be an argument against.

I have a 3 bladed WhirlWind on my -12. It is a pain getting the bottom cowling off and on.

With the 3 blade, if you pivot the nose wheel all the way as if the airplane is making a right turn, there is a path to slide the cowling on from the right side that isn't too bad.

My thoughts

I started with the sensenich three blade from first flight 11 years ago and switched to the newer one after the officially one came out for the RV12 a few years ago with Vans. Really I think it is a personal preference. Not sure if you will notice a difference in performance except I think my 3 blade seams to slow down and not float as much as the RV12s with a 2 blade on final.

Just my 2 cents

Back