What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 – Yes it’s a cross country traveler! 2,300nm / 14 states / 8 days

PilotBrent

Well Known Member
I’m posting this in the RV-12 section, to strengthen the claim that the 12 is in fact a great option for long distance travelling (albeit at sight-seeing ground speeds). Fellow RV-12 pilots, David Valcik & Jeff Vaughan, and I headed west last September from NJ/PA to the “RV Gathering” at Petit Jean State Park in Arkansas, which of course attracts around 100 RVs and others every fall and is incredibly well organized. Highly recommended for your bucket list as mentioned on here by many others.

We added visits to Memphis TN and New Orleans for museums and food, and we were on our way to Triple Tree Aerodrome in SC when we unfortunately had a minor (non-aircraft) challenge to deal with, which ultimately led us to cut the trip short at 8 days. Despite that, exploiting incredible VFR weather we broke our own RV-12 distance records, travelling 2,300+ miles across 14 states behind the mighty 100HP Rotax. Where we weren’t offered a crew car, we usually found a gracious local pilot offering to chauffer around the “RV-12” guys. Finally procrastinated long enough to pull together some highlights spread across a couple of YouTube videos, links below.

If you are done pulling LP4-3 rivets and up for some adventure, maybe start thinking about joining us this fall for another journey. The RV-12 can do it!

Part 1
https://youtu.be/M2rY1WWIT7k

Part 2
https://youtu.be/pXuJ1JeUFVM

13 by Brent Connelly

Screen Shot 2023-07-02 at 10.58.35 AM by Brent Connelly

iPhoneShots - 133 by Brent Connelly

iPhoneShots - 6 by Brent Connelly

20 by Brent Connelly

iPhoneShots - 68 by Brent Connelly

Brent, Great video it was fun looking back on a great trip with good friends. Looking forward to this years trip, I will be number 2 all day long. Here is one of the best shots of your plane. We were leaving as a flight of 3 with the sun in be best position early that morning from New Orleans.

Last edited:
RV-12 Trip

Enjoyed your videos. Visited some with you guys at PJ and remembered when we parked together as a RV-12 group at Oshkosh a few years ago. I also picked up COVID at this event assumed from riding in the van. Hit me I believe a day after I got home.

Will be starting another RV-12 soon.

Last edited:
Brent your video was awesome. Did not realize you were filming all the time. Great trip! Great memories , except for the Covid quarantine. Looking forward to our next Cross Country adventure.

Awesome trip and video Brent. Got to give you the first like on Part 1! Hope we can hook up before summers over. Get a pic of your -12 and my Sling. You are the consummate videographer.

Enjoyed your videos. Visited some with you guys at PJ and remembered when we parked together as a RV-12 group at Oshkosh a few years ago. I also picked up COVID at this event assumed from riding in the van. Hit me I believe a day after I got home.

Will be starting another RV-12 soon.

Once a builder, always a builder. Hope to see you at KOSH Scott,

B.

I presume you filled up with 100LL at airports where unleaded was not available
Correct? If so, did you use an additive when using 100LL? If so, what kind?
Or, did you just use 100LL and not worry about it?
Did you use unleaded autogas at any airports that you refueled?

Great videos I watched them last night. I can't get them out of my mind. Looks like so much fun.
I have a question seems like you did short Gas hops just over an 1 hour. Is that normal or could you have gone longer between gas stops.

Great videos I watched them last night. I can't get them out of my mind. Looks like so much fun.
I have a question seems like you did short Gas hops just over an 1 hour. Is that normal or could you have gone longer between gas stops.

We planned about 1.45 hr to 2.3 hr between stops. Remember, it was about the journey.

Scott ...
"Will be starting another RV-12 soon."
when you get done, let's do a trip like these guys did !!
P.S. make it quick

Reading this thread is inspiring!

Perhaps we could organize an RV-12 group flight this fall or next spring. See how many -12's we can get together and try to do at least half the states! We could possibly get group rates on lodging and maybe even be able to plan our fuel stops to have unleaded fuel available. Just a thought. I'm willing to make some calls.

We just flew to Polson MT, (Flathead Lake) from KREI SoCal. We covered about 2500 miles visiting friends along the way and exploring. The trip back was total 10 hrs included 2 fuel stops. The flight took us through the Bitterroot Valley where we saw the Yellowstone TV ranch. Through Wyoming to see the Tetons and Yellowstone Lake and the geysers in the park. A few grass strip landings in Montana, the Continental Divide and China Wall. Great memories.

IMG_5907.jpg
Yellowstone TV Ranch

IMG_0311.jpg
the Titons

IMG_0332.jpg
Yellowstone geysers

China wall 1.jpg
China Wall / Continental Divide

China wall 2.jpg
China Wall / Continental Divide

IMG_7954.jpg
Seeley Lake