What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Window lost in flight / Poor workmanship

Dustyone

Well Known Member
If you want to learn how to correctly install windows in RV-10's, then go to this most excellent thread and do it correctly!!!

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=212770

The L/H window blew out at low level flight, the aircraft was completely controllable and landed safely with no injuries. The owner of this aircraft did not build it and apart from the poor window installation the aircraft had been constructed to an above standard metal work.

The window installation was another story,
So don't be this guy who ignored any and all advise and had a go at installing windows with ZERO preparation and poor craftsmanship. These windows where literally held in with the body filler.
All windows required replacement.

So please, if you are a builder reading this and do not understand any part of your aircraft construction, then please reach out for help. At the very least follow the kit manufactures instructions to the letter!

AL9nZEUfUm5x5e22mYEYewTzv4uO8pERBthgEfpjRm41ARECGo3FihZNNbqUV3Wy0WQKBw2X4gj0Vbr8DJsiP87dQzkpXkkFG96_Y_kx8HpdW7dCeEGHSpFxMhERsxbgeic_Qw3d6sTQNXa1dZmNav3hVsxFiQ=w677-h902

AL9nZEV9q10hvCpOrrTf2oJHXOjMKC0DmoPpGyUxd3-Sa7CMh26OASzaTFoB1Ksevkh9m2W_qW49vgZv4jgpX46J8kq0TDx2RFqSeMd_Q_125SJXz2gJppkZQXGmZ2s94ay8ed0rgoSnZXnJgu-zxk-UYC4pOg=w677-h902

The plexiglass was not prepped with any form of abrasion at all, a minimum of 80g sandpaper and primer is required.
AL9nZEXSG-HfhFclYB5rD3AfSiXXrS2W8llvn3YFhlqWdBZss9qyLzKQ48qZ2RwzjKXTSbD-9oVEs67H-j4mlk0Oc6cUGu-lvaKaTzMUmLTvFrqikpjKP6GyxgPhdEDo8ZQtrcqDQDKu0TtHcoQJmvb_aFHLYw=w677-h902

The remaining windows were all cracking around the body filler and pushed out with little effort including the front windscreen.

AL9nZEWa63IhYeay9Pfz_V1pSChRueUxqnucTT-HQ6dq0jDFPoVusFFkCGu5VNfnQJS9_tGIkNOUGIHTprJLM9Y9mAqGHeouCnDWzb-ON3yCsAZ_BWSdCCAYbAO_okEmrxdzoetLEzTsa4c5Baqut0rFZTUBZw=w677-h902

AL9nZEVhDj7Trx7x5vRRasMpp5RqaQa8thxzkApWEdSCghMqRW6kojdNcFXJq1ShsheSRb5T4UVEQuzEhf1Y0GXYGsu2rx81Lr7iDwlVuELeaHV6rQi6gZ4ZqEbKa7mvVgPerratz3VeEfny95GyMneB1-X5vw=w677-h902

In the close-up of the window edge it looks like there is some parallel and perpendicular scratches on the window edge that would have resulted from a bit of work with sand paper, but it is so minimal I agree it would not have help at all.
When sanding/abrading for promotion of adhesion, there should be no visible sign of any gloss left. Use a reflected light source to look between the scratches. You should not be able to detect any amount of gloss area.
Even if proper prep had been done, it looks like there was very little adhesive coverage, so it still would have been sub-standard.

Yikes:eek:

Hey Scott----
in your 'retirement', your knowledge of RVs will be extremely valuable!
Please continue--

Tom

Preparation is the key

In the close-up of the window edge it looks like there is some parallel and perpendicular scratches on the window edge that would have resulted from a bit of work with sand paper, but it is so minimal I agree it would not have help at all.
When sanding/abrading for promotion of adhesion, there should be no visible sign of any gloss left. Use a reflected light source to look between the scratches. You should not be able to detect any amount of gloss area.
Even if proper prep had been done, it looks like there was very little adhesive coverage, so it still would have been sub-standard.

Yikes
I am so glad that the outcome was safe.

Jip - preparation is the key and then not applying the Sika or Silpruf correctly will not help either. I also see no primer - that is if it is Sika - I do not know the Silpruf process. Somehow it does not look like Sika? Can someone tell what that is please?

It might be automotive urethane windshield adhesive?? Even if it was, it was not applied properly.

Another random question , why arent VAN's Windows tinted green or blue ? when i ordered the canopy for my RV9 i customized it to Mercedes benz blue .

Another random question , why arent VAN's Windows tinted green or blue ? when i ordered the canopy for my RV9 i customized it to Mercedes benz blue .

For the same reason that all other contemporary aircraft don’t have blue or green windows…..

Window cracks

Total bummer. Prep and following the instructions are key.

The cracks around the window will happen on any RV-10 if you don't fiberglass between the plexiglass and the body. The thermal expansion differences are just too great. Many of the early ones had cracks and I added one layer but it was not enough and I ended up with cracks after many heat/cool cycles.
I will add many layers on next repaint.

Good luck, glad it ended well.

Back