What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 10 Valve Stem Interference with wheel nut

Bearman

This is the tubes Vans sent with my finish kit. There is no way to service air pressure without removing the wheel pants and the wheel nut. Actually I had to bend the head of the pin 90 degrees for the cap to clear during rotation and it's still to close for comfort. I called tech support and they said that this is the first they had anyone complain about it. I was told to send photos into [email protected] and they would look at it. Is this the same tubes that Vans has always sent with the RV 10?
should be a bent stem instead of the straight. If they don't replace them I'll be spending another $250 for new tubes.

Attachments

• IMG_2574.jpg
    IMG_2574.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 52
This is the tubes Vans sent with my finish kit. There is no way to service air pressure without removing the wheel pants and the wheel nut. Actually I had to bend the head of the pin 90 degrees for the cap to clear during rotation and it's still to close for comfort. I called tech support and they said that this is the first they had anyone complain about it. I was told to send photos into [email protected] and they would look at it. Is this the same tubes that Vans has always sent with the RV 10?
should be a bent stem instead of the straight. If they don't replace them I'll be spending another $250 for new tubes.
Trying using a plastic automotive style cap, they are shorter than the yellow ones and give more clearance.

When time comes to replace the tubes, get tubes with 90 degree valve stems. I can only assume Van’s does not use these type tubes to cut costs.

Drill a ~5/8” hole in the wheel pant opposite of the stem. Use a 10mm nut driver to insert in the hole and remover the valve cap. Insert a valve stem extension (perhaps 6” long or so) and tighten with the same 10mm nut driver.

To know when the stem is aligned with the wheel pant hole I put a mark on the tire pointing straight down when aligned. Do this on the inside and outside of the tire.

Do the same for the nose wheel.

Carl

Last edited:
So i have the stock tube setup (new tubes but same valve). Same clearance and in 9 years have never had an issue. As for putting in air I only remove the front half of the wheel pants, reach in and slightly bend the valve away from the axel nut (which I do not remove) and place the air chuck on the valve. I Find it’s easier to use this style of air chuck. Although airing the tires is on of my least favorite chores (I just hate having to get down there to do it) I’ve gotten where I can get all 3 tires aired up and wheel pants reinstalled in about 20 min.
IMG_1107.jpeg

So i have the stock tube setup (new tubes but same valve). Same clearance and in 9 years have never had an issue. As for putting in air I only remove the front half of the wheel pants, reach in and slightly bend the valve away from the axel nut (which I do not remove) and place the air chuck on the valve. I Find it’s easier to use this style of air chuck. Although airing the tires is on of my least favorite chores (I just hate having to get down there to do it) I’ve gotten where I can get all 3 tires aired up and wheel pants reinstalled in about 20 min.View attachment 57459
This is my experience too. It’s not as big a deal as it looks or sounds. It’s rare for me to need to put air in more than once a year outside of condition inspection. If I do then it’s a quick task to pull the front half of the pant.
A good opportunity to take a look around and also put a wrench/screwdriver on everything down there as well. Always something loose.

When time comes to replace the tubes, get tubes with 90 degree valve stems. I can only assume Van’s does not use these type tubes to cut costs.

Drill a ~5/8” hole in the wheel pant opposite of the stem. Use a 10mm nut driver to insert in the hole and remover the valve cap. Insert a valve stem extension (perhaps 6” long or so) and tighten with the same 10mm nut driver.

To know when the stem is aligned with the wheel pant hole I put a mark on the tire pointing straight down when aligned. Do this on the inside and outside of the tire.

Do the same for the nose wheel.

Carl
Aircraft Spruce has the same tube but with a 70 degree stem and it's $14 less. I sent the photo to Vans like they asked me to. I guess I should send another email and tell them they could save $14 per tube to send the right one. LOL

Back