What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Regrets...?

First Four Years

Cruising the coast of Baja, Mexico
790604828_okrzb-XL.jpg

Approaching Alfonsinas Baja, Mexico
790605518_GRNfK-XL.jpg

Alfonsina's Baja, Mexico
790605724_httb3-XL.jpg

Approaching Mulege Baja, Mexico
790616188_j7XCR-XL.jpg

McCall, ID
547090917_djBd5-XL.jpg

Cavanaugh Bay, ID
585538555_mh3dk-XL.jpg

585541218_v8phA-XL.jpg

Landing Oshkosh 2010
957891594_4YJRK-XL.jpg

Headliner

Scott,
What did you use to finish off around the back windows? looks like something like a pinch welt but I know that's not correct.
I show my wife the other pix of Johnson Creek with your plane and tent and tell her, "That's gonna be us some day!" Dan

I had a guy do my headliner and front and rear seats. I think he wrapped the microfiber material around something a little stiffer and glued it. I don't think there was any sewing or caps put on it. I did finish and paint around my windows. I wanted a clean look there. I can get better pictures if that would help.

Since we are drifting this thread a bit:rolleyes:----

How about a few details on the padded dash cover??

585541218_v8phA-XL.jpg

Thanks

Regret?

I hope I am not drifting the thread too much.
I guess all I am saying is no, I don't regret the -10 over another RV. :)

Since we are drifting this thread a bit:rolleyes:----

How about a few details on the padded dash cover??

Thanks

Hi Mike, I had that made at a local custom car shop but they charged a bunch for it. So I sent it to Abby at Flightline Interiors to look at and now she offers one. Flightline is great to work with, they can customize it if needed.
Give her a call.

Scott, a closer pix would be terrific! Thanks. Dan

QUOTE=ScottSchmidt;476211]I had a guy do my headliner and front and rear seats. I think he wrapped the microfiber material around something a little stiffer and glued it. I don't think there was any sewing or caps put on it. I did finish and paint around my windows. I wanted a clean look there. I can get better pictures if that would help.[/QUOTE]

Admissions

Okay, I'll put it out there and admit that I'm one of the irresponsible ones. I suspect at least a few of you are of the same mind-set as me, but feel the need to support your decisions. I understand and am not criticizing that mental manipulation. I don't have to go through all that because: 1) I'm single (probably the single largest factor) and 2) as long as it's safe and it works well, I don't care what others think.

I chose the -10 because it was the biggest Van's plane. "Well, Chris, is that for people or payload?" Don't care. Didn't analyze probabilities for percentage of take-offs needing to be at gross weight. Just want to be able to do it when I want to do it.

I am paying as I go, so I'm incurring any debt for this build. That means it will take longer, but that's okay with me. I don't know how much my -10 is going to end up costing. I don't care. I'm not building for re-sale. I'm building for me. I intend to have all the bells and whistles. I intend to make it scream as much as you can make a -10 scream. I intend to be silently smug about it.

This is my first build and I absolutely love doing it. That's fairly obvious because I haven't actually flown for some time. Granted, I'm not yet in a flying machine, but I have absolutely, positively, no regrets.

Admissions

Okay, I'll put it out there and admit that I'm one of the irresponsible ones. I suspect at least a few of you are of the same mind-set as me, but feel the need to support your decisions. I understand and am not criticizing that mental manipulation. I don't have to go through all that because: 1) I'm single (probably the single largest factor) and 2) as long as it's safe and it works well, I don't care what others think.

I chose the -10 because it was the biggest Van's plane. "Well, Chris, was that for people or payload?" Don't care. Didn't analyze probabilities for percentage of take-offs needing to be at gross weight. Just want to be able to do it when I want to do it.

I am paying as I go, so I'm not incurring any debt for this build. That means it will take longer, but that's okay with me. I don't know how much my -10 is going to end up costing. I don't care. I'm not building for re-sale. I'm building for me. I intend to have all the bells and whistles. I intend to make it scream as much as you can make a -10 scream. I intend to be silently smug about it.

This is my first build and I absolutely love doing it. That's fairly obvious because I haven't actually flown for some time. Granted, I'm not yet in a flying machine, but I have absolutely, positively, no regrets.

I chose the -10 because it was the biggest Van's plane.

Chris,

Well now THERE's something I never thought about..:D Somehow, the size never came into my criteria, other than my wife sure did like the elbow room.

I started this thread because I was having cold feet about the 10, due to my LOVE for the handling qualities of the RV-7. Comparing the flying qualities of the two vastly different airplanes was not really an "apples to apples," so I was mainly concerned with whether or not I'd have regrets after building the "family truckster."

I wanted to know if there was anyone who had actually lived out my worst fear. Apparently no one has, because I didn't get back a single negative comment about the 10. No one replied that they hated looking at the empty seats while flying along, wishing they could do a barrel roll. That was what my fear was... mostly empty plane, less speed, more cost and less fun.. According to all of the people who chimed in, this is not a valid fear. Therefore, I am moving on with the 10 as THE project and not looking back.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts.

Back