What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 options

Hi folks

I'm a new builder with the kits on order. After a bit of reading I have realised that people are deleting or adding things to the kits, like parking brake etc. Is there a list anywhere of recommended/possible changes to the kits?

Thanks
G

Gareth

Good to see another Rv-10 project in the UK. One thing to keep in mind, here in the UK, is Mod’s with the LAA, repeat mods are straight forward, new ones can be time consuming. Most of mine were safety improvements. Like stainless steel heater boxes, plane around door latch, parking Brake and Beringer nose wheel.
It’s best to go onto the LAA site and look at what other mods have been previously approved.
Using the search function on this site will reveal many other mods people have done.

Good luck with the build,

Peter

Last edited:
Hi Gareth and welcome from another UK RV-10 builder. I bet you were on this forum to avoid the brits but you pick up 2 straight off.

As Pete says, what you can change in the UK is quite restricted compared to the US but here are a few suggestions:

The first list is things that are straight forward with the LAA because they are Vans options:
- Beringer nose wheel
- Parking brake
- OP52 Wing leading edge landing lights
- OP48 AHRS bracket (provides a very useful shelf behind the baggage bulkhead for mounting stuff)
- OP41 strobe mounting bracket (ditto)
- OP38 Electric aileron trim
- Andair fuel selector
There is also the trim cable anchor brackets where the LAA insist on a machined-from-billet version such as those made by IFlyRV10.

The next list contains things that have been approved by the LAA for other RV-10s, so repeat mods are easier:
- Planearound door locking system
- Heated pitot
- Airward tunnel access panel
- Andair fuel pump
- LiFePo battery

Things that require care because the LAA is cautious include:
- Any propellor other than the ones sold by Vans for the RV-10 (Hartzell and MT)
- Electronic ignition (so far, I think they've only approved the SDS CPI and the Surefly for 1 side only)
- Any engine other than a Lycoming (I)O-540
- Anything that involves changes to the primary structure

Electrical stuff, avionics, lights and antennas generally don't cause problems with the LAA.

Gareth

Good to see another Rv-10 project in the UK. One thing to keep in mind, here in the UK, is Mod’s with the LAA, repeat mods are straight forward, new ones can be time consuming. Most of mine were safety improvements. Like stainless steel heater boxes, plane around door latch, parking Brake and Beringer nose wheel.
It’s best to go onto the LAA site and look at what other mods have been previously approved.
Using the search function on this site will reveal many other mods people have done.

Good luck with the build,

Peter
Ungortunately the laa mod list is incomplete for some reason. Ask the same question on the uk group https://groups.io/g/RVSqn.
Worth reading the tads for the rv10

<snip>
The next list contains things that have been approved by the LAA for other RV-10s, so repeat mods are easier:
- Planearound door locking system
- Heated pitot
- Airward tunnel access panel
- Andair fuel pump
- LiFePo battery

Things that require care because the LAA is cautious include:
<snip>.

If this is the same Andair fuel pump of old, it has inadequate fuel flow at full power with no mechanical pump - so does not meet FAA recommendations for the 540. This was covered on VAF (uncovered?) a few years back. Surprising that "a cautious LAA" approved this.

If this is the same Andair fuel pump of old, it has inadequate fuel flow at full power with no mechanical pump - so does not meet FAA recommendations for the 540. This was covered on VAF (uncovered?) a few years back. Surprising that "a cautious LAA" approved this.

The LAA statement regarding this pump in an RV-10 says "on fuel injected engines only and only pump serial numbers 30453 and on)", so perhaps that covers it? Alternatively, the LAA may have missed it or perhaps the European regs are different.

Back